Diploma Drive-Thru Celebration Details
Saturday, June 19 by RSVP ONLY
- 2020-21 graduates are invited to celebrate their accomplishments at our first ever Diploma Drive-Thru
Celebration to be held at the SMC Bundy Campus on Saturday, June 19, 2021.
RSVP by May 21
- During the Diploma Drive-Thru, graduates will remain in their vehicle, with a face
cover, and will drive thru the designated path to pick up their diploma case, and
a very special gift courtesy of the Associated Students.
- Only one vehicle is permitted and the graduate must be in the vehicle--no party buses/shuttles
or limos allowed.
- Graduates arriving by public transportation or are walking to the event will be directed
to the walk-thru route.
- Graduates will exit their vehicle as they get close to the "stage" and walk the red
carpet toward the podium. Their name will be read as they receive their diploma cover
and have an official college grad photo taken (photos will be available for purchase
after the event). Guests must remain in the vehicle, but will follow a course to see
the graduate on stage. Once the graduate receives their diploma cover, they will leave
the stage and enter their vehicle. There will be an opportunity to take photos with
your guests prior to exiting the premises.
- For your safety, you will be assigned a specific timeslot for when you will join the Diploma Drive-Thru Celebration. A confirmation and further details will be provided no later than June 11.
- Students who are graduating in 2020-21 with a degree (Associate or Bachelor's) or
a certificate (Certificate of Achievement or Certificate of Completion).
- Graduates may bring guests that fit in a single vehicle. Graduate must be in that vehicle. No party buses or limos will be allowed.
- Although you cannot participate in the Diploma Drive-Thru Celebration, you may still participate in the Virtual Commencement Ceremony on Friday, June 25. Unfortunately, the Associated Student's gift and diploma cover is only available to the Drive-Thru participants.
- If you require accommodations for this event, please contact the Center for Students with Disabilities at 310-434-4265 or firstname.lastname@example.org at least 5 days in advance. The Center’s staff will then work with our Commencement staff to ensure approved accommodations are met.
- Graduates and their guests must arrive in a single vehicle and must wear a face mask
at all times.
- When the graduate reaches the stage, the graduate may remove their face cover while an official photograph is taken by our professional photographers. Once the graduate leaves the podium they must wear their face mask once again.
- While you are not required to purchase graduation regalia, you may purchase it at
the SMC Bookstore website starting late May. If you are participating in the Diploma Drive-Through,
the cap and tassel will be given to you for free, so you may want to only purchase
the gown and your honor stole (if you qualify). We will share more details with you
in a few weeks.
- Students who are graduating with an associate degree or a certificate of achievement
may purchase regalia online at the SMC Bookstore begi2021. You may purchase your regalia as a full set or separately. Bachelor Degree
graduates must have reserved their regalia through their counselor. International
shipping is available at an additional cost that varies country by country.
Students may pick up their regalia by appointment only. Email email@example.com to schedule a pick-up date and time.
Cap, Gown, Tassel set - see notice below
Cap only - see notice below
Tassel only - see notice below
Cap & Tassel
The first 1,200 students who RSVP to participate in the Diploma Drive-Through to be held on Saturday, June 19 will receive a "Commencement Kit" that among other things contains the cap and tassel--for FREE.
FedEx ground shipping is $11.95 for the first item and $2.00 each additional item. For more information regarding shipping, please visit the Bookstore's customer service page..
- This gift will include your graduation mortar board (cap), tassel, several SMC branded
items, and a Commencement Program.
- Only students who participate in the Diploma Drive-Thru will receive the gift.
Show Your SMC Pride
- Graduates are encouraged to decorate their car with SMC colors (blue, white, yellow).
Instagram and Facebook Graduation Filter
Save your video or picture and share on Insta, Twitter, or Facebook! Use #ProudToBeSMC hashtag.