Grad Walk Celebration
Saturday, June 11 at 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
By RSVP Only - RSVP by June 5
Graduates: check your email on Friday, May 13 (evening) for RSVP info
This event is a continuation of last year's hugely successful Diploma Drive-thru!
- For everyone's saftefy, graduates will be asked to select their preferred time slot(s) for joining the celebration. A confirmation email and further details will be provided on June 6.
- Watch our "highlights" video on YouTube so you get a better sense of what the event will look like.
- Graduates will arrive by car (or public transportation). Only one vehicle is permitted and the graduate must be in the vehicle--no party buses/shuttles or limos allowed. If arriving by public transportation or shared ride, grads and your guests will walk on a designated path.
- Graduates will exit their vehicle as they get close to the "stage" and walk the red carpet toward the podium. Their name will be read as they receive their diploma cover and have an official college grad photo taken (photos will be available for purchase after the event). Guests must remain in the vehicle, but will follow a course to see the graduate on stage. Once the graduate receives their diploma, they will leave the stage, enter their vehicle, and exit the premises.
- Grads and their families may optionally stop by one of our photo booths to snap selfies.
- Graduates are encouraged to decorate their car with SMC colors (blue, white, yellow).
COVID-19 protocols will be followed. Graduates, family/guests, and event staff must wear face masks if proper social distancing of 6 ft. cannot be maintianed. Proof of vaccination is not required. However, if you are unvaccinated, to stay compliant with SMC policy, you must stay masked the whole time--even though you are outdoors; unvaccinated persons cannot enter SMC buildings at any point.
Can I bring guests?
Yes. See more details above. You must all come in in the one vehicle. Multiple vehicles per graduate/family are not permitted. No party buses or limos. For graduates and families arriving by public transportation, you will all be directed to the walk-up line.
Graduates requiring accommodations for this event, please contact the Center for Students with Disabilities at 310-434-4265 or email@example.com at least 5 days in advance. The Center’s staff will then work with our Commencement staff to ensure approved accommodations are met.
*Regalia is FREE this year!
- The first 1,100 students who RSVP to participate in Grad Walk Celebration, and attend Grad Fest, will get a FREE mortar board/cap, tassel, gown courtesy of the Associated Students.
- Already purchased your regalia? You may return it for a refund so you may get the free set at Grad Fest (see caveats below)!
*Caveats on Free Graduation Regalia
- We cannot guarantee that your specific gown size will be available. Regalia will be given on a first come, first-served basis.
- You must know your height as you will not be able to try on the gown.
- If you rsvped for Grad Walk but didn't attend Grad Fest on June 2, you can pick-up your graduation regalia at the cafeteria between June 6 and June 8 from 9:30am - 3 pm.
- If you did not rsvp for Grad Walk and if we still have any remaining, we will provide them at Grad Walk on June 11 (this is not guaranteed).
- Honors sashes for eligible students may be purchased at the SMC Bookstore.
Cap Decorating Contest
- Decorate your grad cap
- Post a picture of your cap on Instagram
- Tag your photo with #SnapMyCap and @smcedu by June 12th-your profile must be public to enter. The winner of our grand prize will be announced on Instagram and other college publications. All participants must adhere to SMC’s Student Conduct Rules.
- Have fun, be creative with your design! We can't wait to see what you come up with.