Welcome to Fall 2020!
- Make sure you've heard from your instructor, or contacted them yourself, to know how to access your class
- Check all email accounts - personal, SMC, and spam
- "Attend" class every week:
- Be active! - or risk a poor grade, or being dropped
- If your instructor uses Canvas, login the first day
- More about Canvas:
- FYI, not all instructors use Canvas (ask your instructor)
- Some instructors do not open Canvas until the first day
- How to "Crash" a course
- Know your class dates and deadlines (Refund, Avoid a W, Late Drop)
- Find them in Corsair Connect next to your enrolled classes
- Download the official SMC GO app
- Check out the message about Student IDs!
- Go to "My Messages" and "Opt-in" to get other updates
- Chat with Pearl...seriously, lots of great answers
- Free WiFi and more!
- Explore the Student Remote Instruction Checklist
- WATCH: Helpful videos
- Visit the FAQ page
- Zoom and Video Call backgrounds
- Check out these great SMC backgrounds
- Get assistance ASAP if you get stuck
- Connect with a counselor
- Contact student support and services
Dear SMC Student:
It's the first day of the Fall 2020 semester—and whether you're at Santa Monica College for the first time, or are returning for more classes: Welcome!
Free Student Wi-Fi at Bundy & Free Chromebook Loans: Be sure to make note of the free Wi-Fi area at the SMC Bundy Campus East Parking Lot, available Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 10 p.m. (available all semester excluding official holidays). In addition, to find free WiFi service close to you in Los Angeles County, check out this online WiFi Locator Tool.
- If you are in need of a Chromebook, contact your faculty member or program counselor who will initiate the process for you.
One-Stop Online Shop for All Your Support & Counseling Needs: Please make note of this webpage: smc.edu/student-support, which has links to all SMC student support services, counseling services and offices: from Admissions & Records, Financial Aid, Black Collegians, Adelante, the DREAM Program, and so much more.
SMC is Here for You | Free Therapy & Virtual Healthcare: We know that this is a very difficult time. I cannot even begin to fathom what level of mental and emotional stress each of you may be under, what obstacles and challenges have made this post-pandemic reality excruciating for you. Here at SMC, we care deeply about your wellbeing and offer the following free services—The Center for Wellness and Wellbeing offers free, confidential, short-term therapy for SMC students in a virtual environment. Students can email email@example.com or call 310-434-4503 to schedule an appointment. Students needing in the moment support, can call our free 24/7 emotional support hotline at 800-691-6003. Services are free and totally confidential.
Students can, in addition, access free virtual, confidential healthcare with a nurse or nurse practitioner in Student Health Services! In-person appointments are also available for students wanting immunizations. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 310-434-4262 to schedule a same day appointment.
Free Groceries & More: Want/need free grocery money? Students who think they may be eligible for CalFresh can reach out to email@example.com to meet virtually with a resource specialist. Also, make sure to come by SMC's weekly drive-through pop-up food pantry held every Wednesday at 12:30pm rain or shine! Go to our food security webpage for more information!
Tons of Workshops & Events in Fall 2020: Nearly all the workshops & events that would normally take place on-campus
have been moved to a virtual, online format! In addition to attending classes (most
of them at your convenience), you have a full calendar—everything from transfer, financial
aid, and career preparation workshops to mindfulness/meditation and so much more.
Be sure to make note of these events: smc.edu/studentservicescalendar.
Student Services "Kickback Resource Fair" | Sept. 16, 2020: There is a virtual 2020 Future Alumni Kickback and Fall Activities and Information Resources F.A.I.R (Fall. Activities. Information. Resources) happening this semester! Details are below. There will be a ton of useful information and resources to enrich your semester – be sure to attend! Check out smc.edu/studentlife for more information on the range of extra-curricular offerings at SMC and ways for you to connect with fellow students.
Thursday, September 17, 2020
11:15am – 12:35pm
Register to vote for the November 3 general election: I encourage you to exercise your right to vote, and let your voice be heard! The right to vote is not one to be taken lightly; it is in your hands to create the change this world needs. If you are eligible, you can register to vote here: Registertovote.ca.gov. For additional resources, vote center locations, and important dates, visit smc.edu/civicengagement.