Applying to SMC is Easy!
Follow the steps below to apply and enroll at SMC.
Note: Parents should not complete the application on behalf of the student, but may assist.
- Register with OpenCCC: To begin the SMC application, create an account with the OpenCCC application system
which moderates the Santa Monica College application You will need a real email address.
This address should be your personal email account--not your parent's or that belonging to someone else. If you already have an OpenCCC account, just log in. Once you create your account
with OpenCCC you will be issued an OpenCCC ID - this is not your Santa Monica College
ID number, proceed with the next steps to complete the application and receive your
Santa Monica College ID number.
Returning Students: If you used an SMC.EDU email account on your OpenCCC account, you must change the email address to a personal email account. Using an SMC account will prevent the processing of your application.
- Apply to SMC: Complete and submit your Santa Monica College admissions application. Remember:
Creating your OpenCCC account is just the first step - be sure to proceed with the
Santa Monica College application once you have created your OpenCCC account. You will
receive an application confirmation number the moment you complete the application,
keep a record of that number should you need to follow up on the status of your application.
- Check your Email: You should receive an email from Santa Monica College admissions just minutes after completing the application notifying you of your status. If additional information is required to process your application, you will be notified and asked to provide it for further review. If admitted, you will receive your admissions email, student ID number, and account activation instructions, sent by Admissions & Records within the hour (check junk mail if you did not receive it). If you do not receive a follow up email from Admissions & Records please contact Admissions@smc.edu and provide us your confirmation number for further assistance.
- Once you have applied, you will get an email informing you if Orientation is required. New students must generally complete the orientation in order to receive an enrollment date and enroll in classes.
- Once you have applied, you will get an email informing you how to review your course
placement in Corsair Connect. If necessary, you can complete the placement process there!
- New students must generally complete the orientation in order to receive an enrollment date and enroll in classes. placement, and education planning are required. See a counselor to help select your classes.
- Meet with a counselor to assist you with your education plan, course selections, transfer
questions, and to learn about campus resources.
- Create your own education plan using the award-winning MyEdPlan. You can submit your ed plan for counselor review right from MyEdPlan.
- Once you complete all steps above, you will be able to enroll in classes for the term you applied for. You may enroll on or after your enrollment date and time.
- Find your enrollment date and time, and also enroll in classes on Corsair Connect.
- Effective Winter/Spring 2022, on-ground class enrollment requires pre-approved proof of vaccination. Online class enrollment does not require proof of vaccination (details at Vaccines).
- Finish your degree or certificate faster by enrolling in 12-15 units in fall and spring semesters.
- Review the Schedule of Classes and then enroll on your student portal, Corsair Connect.