Welcome Out of State Students!
Santa Monica College is the top transfer college in California! We pride ourself on enrolling students from around the country and across the globe. We are #1 in providing "top" supportive services, in assisting students towards reaching their educational goals.
We have an outstanding educational program, wonderful professors, and a wide variety of classes. Internships, job opportunities, and career counseling are available for all students.
Please click on the following for more information:
Follow the Out-Of-State Student Timeline so you can meet all deadlines.
- Apply online
- Complete the FAFSA financial aid application. The Santa Monica College school code for the FAFSA is 001286.
- If you are applying for financial aid, please contact Assistant Director Stacy Neal at firstname.lastname@example.org or 310-434-4343.
- Complete an On-line Student Orientation
- Complete SMC supplemental financial aid forms
- If you already have completed a college-level English or Math course, Fax your unofficial college transcripts to our office at 310-434-3634 for the appropriate English and/or Math waivers. Please call 310-434-4189 to be connected with an outreach counselor who can assist you with transcript evaluation and course selection.
- It is important that you take your English and Math Placement Exam during these months so that you can discuss your scores and placement with an SMC Counselor. Find a location near your home.
- If you have completed a college-level English or Math course, fax your transcript to the Outreach Office at 310-434-3634. Be sure to put your name and student ID number (found on your signature page) and your contact information on the test results. This may exclude you from taking the SMC Placement Tests.
- Attend a National College Fair in your area.
- Enroll in SMC courses.
- Please contact an Outreach Counselor for ongoing counseling assistance.
- Pay for your classes. You may pay online, with a credit card, or mail a check. More information on Tuition and Fees.
- Arrange for your high school transcript to be sent to the Admissions Office.
- If you have other college transcripts, make sure you request to have the attended college send them to SMC Office of Admissions.
- Pack for college.
- Complete all necessary moving/apartment rental agreements
- Become familiar with Santa Monica and the Los Angeles area through the web
- Move to California.
- Attend Out-of-State Student Orientation in August ... details to come!
- Attend the SMC VIP Welcome Day for all "New Students" in August ... details to come!