Santa Monica Community College District is committed to protecting your privacy and complying with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations relating to online privacy and the collection and protection of information that can be used to identify specific individuals ("Personal information"). We only collect Personal Information that you freely provide. Such Personal Information is used only for the purpose for which it was provided, is only made available to third parties to fulfill the purpose for which it was provided. This information is retained in compliance with all applicable laws.
SMC GO accesses device location data to enable some features, even when the app is closed or not in use: Displaying notifications relevant to your current location.
In all cases where location information is accessed while the app is closed or not in use, the app uses either the device's geographic coordinates (latitude and longitude) or its proximity to a specific Bluetooth beacon to determine if something should happen in the app.
For example, if you enter a geofence that has been associated with a notification, you may receive that notification.
Updating Location Permissions
If you do not wish to allow the app to access location information while the app is closed or not in use, follow the instructions below to update your app's location permissions. Instructions may vary for your device's specific manufacturer and Android OS version:
- From the home screen, open the Settings app.
- Find your app's location settings. This may either be in the "Location" section of the Settings app (newer Android versions) or within the "Permissions" section of the app's settings (older Android versions).
- Depending on the Android version, you may see different options. If given the option, the "Always" selection enables location services to be used while the app is closed or not in use; "Allow only while using the app" will restrict these permissions to only allow location information to be accessed while the app is open and being used.
SMCCD does not rent, sell, or share Personal Information with other people or nonaffiliated companies without your express consent, except for the following:
- With third party vendors, consultants and other service providers who work for us, need access to your Personal Information to do that work, and who are bound to preserve the confidentiality of such Personal Information;
- To comply with laws or to respond to lawful requests and legal process;
- To protect our rights and property, including enforcing our agreements;
- When you consent to release Personal Information to a third party.