Prerequisite Course Waiver Requests based on Completed College Coursework or Advanced Placement (AP) Test Score Report
Prerequisite Course Waivers Processed by Counseling
The Santa Monica College courses listed below have a computer enforced prerequisite and counseling can only process waiver requests for these classes, If you have completed the prerequisite course at another accredited institution with a grade of ‘C’ or higher, or satisfied the prerequisite course by an Advanced Placement Exam Score of ‘3’ or higher please submit an online counseling inquiry with the following: a legible copy of your unofficial college transcript clearly noting the college/university where the course was taken, semester/quarter taken, and grade received which includes your name, and/or a copy of your College Board AP test score report, indicate the course/s you want to enroll in, your name and SMC ID number with your request. Decisions are emailed to your SMC email.
- English, ESL, and Math classes
- Anatomy 1, Biology 21 and Chemistry 11
Waivers for Other Chemistry, Physics & Biological Science
Counseling is NOT able to process these requests however directions for prerequisite course waiver requests are included below.
Prerequisite course waivers for science courses listed below are processed by the Science Department. Simply provide the following: a legible copy of your transcript that includes your name, web links to the course descriptions or course outlines, or the class syllabus, include your name and your SMC ID number and indicate the specific class you want to enroll in and submit via an email to email@example.com
- Anatomy 2, Biology 22 and 23, Microbiology 1, Nursing 17, Physiology 3 (Life Sciences)
- Chemistry 12, 21, 22, 24, 31, Physics 7, 9, 22, 23, 24, and Engineering 12, 16, 21, 22 (non-math prerequisites) (Physical Sciences)
Prerequisite course waiver requests are reviewed and processed by the SMC science deparment.
Prerequisite Course Waivers Issued by Other Departments
Prerequisite course waivers for the following upper division courses Communication Studies 310, Engl 300, IxD 330-470, or Psychology 320 are only available to students admitted into the Interaction Design (IxD) B.S. program. For waivers, please contact the CMD Counselor Amanda Garcia at Garcia_Amanda@smc.edu. For information on applying to IxD, please visit ixd.smc.edu
To request a prerequisite course waiver for Early Childhood Education 21 or 22 please contact the Early Childhood Education Department or email the ECE department chair. Email: Gary Huff, firstname.lastname@example.org
Any Other Class with a Prerequisite Course
Waivers for courses not listed above are not required at the time of enrollment (e.g., Chemistry 10, Accounting).
College Board Advanced Placement Course Placement
Placement/prerequisite course waivers will be issued according to the following:
- A score of 3, 4, or 5 on the AP English Language & Composition or Composition & Literature exam will qualify you for English 2;
- A score of 3 on the AP Calculus AB exam will qualify you for Math 7;
- A score of 3 on the AP Calculus BC exam will qualify you for Math 8;
- A score of 4 or 5 on the AP Calculus AB exam will qualify you for Math 8;
- A score of 4 or 5 on the AP Calculus BC exam will qualify you for Math 10, 11, 13, and 15.
- A score of 3, 4, or 5 on the AP Chemistry exam will qualify a student for Chemistry 11.
Note: If using college coursework from an accredited institution and/or AP test scores to qualify for an AA degree and/or IGETC or CSU GE Certification, you must request the college/university you attended to send your official transcript and/or request from the College Board your official AP test score report to be sent to SMC Admissions. Speak with a counselor in the General Counseling & Transfer Services Center to request the evaluation and to avoid taking classes you don’t need.