Student Support

CalWORKs Work Study Program


​About Work Study

Work study is work performed by students on campus. It can be in an office, a lab, on the college grounds, or working with a faculty or staff member. The current rate of pay is $12 per hour and students may work up to 20 hours per week.

There are three (3) programs at SMC that l​et students do work study on campus: CalWORKs Work-Study, Federal Work Study, and Student Help. 

For more information, visit Student Employment.

CalWORKs Eligibility Requirements

CalWORKs Work Study is only for CalWORKs recipients, who are students receiving cash aid from the Department of Public Social Services. Work study inquiries not related to CalWORKs, contact the Career Services Center: 310-434-4337. The center is located in the Library Village Room 161.

To work under CalWORKs Work Study, students must be enrolled in at least 6 units for Spring and Fall semesters and in at least 3 units for Winter and Summer sessions.

Students in the CalWORKs Program are referred by a CalWORKs counselor to Jenny Trickey, Work Study coordinator. She facilitates student employment procedures, manages budget requirements, monitors student payroll, and completes student employment verifications. The initial student appointment is to assess work skills and start the job search. Whenever possible work study placement is related to students' educational goals.

CalWORKs Work Study Requirements

Students may work up to 20 hours per week during Spring and Fall semesters, and up to 30 hrs. per week during Winter and Summer Sessions. The scheduled work hours of a student are based on the needs of the hiring department.

CalWORKs students working on campus must report their earned income in their CW-7 Form. ​Income earned through CalWORKs Work Study is exempt for cash aid calculation. It must be reported every month.

Disabled Student Program Requirements

Disabled students must provide a letter from the Disabled Student Office stating how many units the student would carry during the Fall and Spring semesters. The student must carry at least 1 unit to work during Winter or Summer sessions.


For more information or to make an appointment, contact Jenny Trickey: 310-434-8526 or

Office Location: Student Services Building. The office is next door to EOPS/CARE on the Pico Blvd. side of the campus. ​