About Nursing - RN
This program prepares students to meet the standards of the California Board of Registered Nursing. The program is approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing and accredited by the Accreditation Commission of Education in Nursing, Inc. Upon completion of the program, graduates receive an Associate in Science Degree and are eligible to take the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX) to become a Registered Nurse. Students are encouraged to follow a transfer curriculum course of study that will enable transfer to BSN programs.
In order to pursue this LVN to ADN Career Ladder Program, the student must have a valid CA LVN license, IV Certification and one year's experience in direct patient care within the past two years.
Upon completion, graduates are eligible to apply to take the National Council Licensing Examination to become a Registered Nurse.
Students seeking admission to the Nursing Program must meet all the following criteria:
- An overall grade point average of 2.5 for the Human Anatomy, Human Physiology and Microbiology prerequisite courses, taken in the last 5 years, with no grade less than C for each course;
- Only one repetition (excluding W) in the group of science prerequisite courses (Anatomy, Physiology, and Microbiology) is allowed within the last 5 years at the time of application;
- College-level English composition class (minimum 3 semester units) with a grade no less than C;
- Be in good standing at Santa Monica College (not on academic or lack-of-progress probation);
- Meet the minimum physical qualifications & essential functions (more information on the Nursing website);
- Must have negative criminal background check and drug screening;
- Must take and achieve the required score on an Admissions Assessment; and
- Must have a valid Social Security Number or a valid Individual Tax Identification Number. Please visit the Nursing website for additional application and admission information.
Transfer Options and Opportunities
SMC students have many options and opportunities for transfer. Make your choice and see what you need to qualify.
Completion of major requirements does not satisfy all transfer admission requirements to UC, CSU, California Private, Out of State, or International institutions.
Please note: Not all schools offer this major.
For additional information visit the Health Science department website.