Federal Title VIA UISFL Grant: Foreign Language Advantage
What: Santa Monica College will increase student interest and enrollment in the study of foreign languages, particularly among Career Technical Education students
Who: The Modern Languages Department in collaboration with CTE Departments: Education/ECE, Business, Communication & Media Studies, and Nursing.
Why: This project is the next step in SMC's comprehensive Global Citizenship Initiative and directly supports one of five of SMC's institutional learning outcomes, stating that graduates will "respect the inter-relatedness of the global human environment, engage with diverse peoples, acknowledge the significance of their daily actions relative to broader issues and events."
When: Grant began October 2016 and ended September 2019.
How: Raise student, faculty, and community awareness of the benefits of second language acquisition to career development and job attainment.
Due to COVID-19, all current study abroad programs have been cancelled for the time being.
- Japan Summer 2020 Study Abroad Flyer August 2019
- Argentina Study Abroad PPT August 2019
- Argentina Spring 2020 Study Abroad Flyer August 2019
- Tokyo Study Abroad Presentation August 2019
- Not Lost in Translation: The Growing Importance of Foreign Language Skills in the U.S. Job Market
- American Academy of Arts and Sciences makes the case for increasing foreign language learning capacity