College to Career - 7 Steps to Success
What can I do with this area of interest/major?
Whether you're exploring a major or researching information about a chosen field, these websites will help you connect majors to careers. On these websites, learn about career fields, types of employers that hire people with a STEM background as well as other valuable information.
Is there someone at SMC I can speak to about my career/major selection?
The Career Services Center team at SMC is here to help you on your path to success. We offer a variety of resources and programs to help you explore your career/major path. You can also enroll in Counseling 12 - Career Planning, a course offered throughout the academic year.
What are related degrees and certificates I can obtain at SMC?
- Automotive Technician - Introductory
- Basic Solar Photovoltaic Installation
- Cloud Computing
- Computer Programming
- Computer Science
- Database Application Developer
- Energy Efficiency Specialist
- Entry Level Programmer
- Environmental Science
- General Science
- Geospatial Technology
- Information Systems Management
- Introduction to Engineering
- Microsoft Azure
- Mobile Apps Development - Android
- Mobile Apps Development - iPhone
- Recycling and Resource Management
- Recycling and Zero Waste
- Solar Photovoltaic and Energy Efficiency
- Solar Photovoltaic Installation
- Sustainability Assistant(Non-credit)
- Sustainability in Organics Aide(Non-credit)
- Sustainability Services Technician(Non-credit)
- Web Developer
Traditionally, most enter a career in STEM with a related STEM degree. However, requirements for anyone entering the field of STEM depends on various factors such as the job position and the skill level needed. We recommend that you explore your career path more in depth by speaking to a Career Counselor at the Career Services Center.
Once you have explored your career path more in depth and have identified your educational goals, we also recommend that you reach out to an academic counselor. An academic counselor can help you identify the classes you need to take to complete your major at SMC as well as what classes you need to complete to transfer to a university/college. An academic counselor can also help you through the petition to graduate process.
Where can I find information on how to ensure my academic success?
Academic counselors at SMC can help you identify the classes you need to take at SMC, based on your SMC and transfer major of choice.
What classes at SMC should I take if I am interested in majoring in education?
We recommend that you speak to an academic counselor at SMC. SMC offers different types of counselors to serve your academic needs. For more information, visit the various counseling programs that offer academic counseling.
Where can I find more information on transfer opportunities and services?
SMC students have many options and opportunities to transfer. General Counseling and Transfer Services can provide you with a variety of resources including opportunities to connect directly with visiting college representatives.
How can I get more involved at SMC?
What are some resources to find employment?
- HireSMC - Find part-time, full-time, on-campus SMC jobs, internships and volunteer opportunities
- Indeed - Search for internships, occupational research and companies
- Linkedin - Begin networking and connecting with individuals in your field of interest
- Glassdoor - Search for jobs, company reviews, salary reports, etc. from current and past employees of companies.
*Please note the links we have referenced above are independent services. Their inclusion here does not constitute an endorsement, and the SMC Career Center is not responsible for their reliability, accuracy or content.
Where can I find resources related to resumes, interview questions and cover letters?
- Cover Letter Resource for STEM majors
- Resume Resource Guide for STEM majors
- STEM Resume Examples
- Interview Preparation Resource for STEM majors
- How to Prepare for a Digital Interview Video
- Creating a Linkedin Profile
- Networking Strategies
Where do I go if I need some assistance with developing a job search strategy?
The Career Services Center Team at SMC can help you with the various stages of developing a job search strategy. We offer appointments with career counselors, assistance with resume, cover letter and portfolio development, interview preparation and much more. Contact the Career Services Center for more information.
Where can I gain some experience as a student?
Getting experience in your field is important. Below are some resources you can research.
Where can I find information related to job duties, entry level of education, necessary training, median pay and, job outlook?
Where can I go for information about my career once I have transferred out of SMC?
Once you have transferred, we recommend that you reach out to the Career Center at your 4 year college/university. The staff at your transfer school will be able to provide you with various resources related to your career goals.
You may also want to reach out to the academic department where your major is housed as well as the professors teaching the classes in your major. They may be able to connect you with additional resources and opportunities.