Undecided students represent a significant proportion of students entering colleges and universities. So, what does it mean to be undecided? If any of the following applies, you may be considered undecided:
- You are brand new to SMC and don't know where to begin
- You don't know what to do
- You are unsure of what major to select
- You have multiple majors you are considering but have not committed to any decisions
- You have a vague understanding about your future career
- You are overwhelmed by the major/career options
- You have a feeling you need or want to do something different with your life but don't know where to go from there
To assist you in identifying your major, here are some resources to help you choose a major that fits you. SMC is here to support you as you transition from undecided to decided.
- Learn about SMC Areas of Interests - Review the 8 Areas of Interests offered by SMC and identify any degrees/certificates that align with your interests.
- Connect with an Academic Counselor - Our academic counselors provide assistance in helping you explore your educational options at SMC as well as transfer options to 4 year colleges and universities. They can even help you create a comprehensive map of all of the courses required to meet your educational goals.
- Schedule an appointment with a Career Counselor - Our career counselors can work with you individually to explore different majors and careers as well as help you set goals regarding career choices that are tailored to you.
- View our Career Areas of Interest - Learn about career paths, industries, as well as on and off-campus opportunities to gain experience.
- Enroll in Counseling 12 - Exploring Careers and College Majors - Let the Career Services Center help you explore majors and careers, show you how to develop your skills and abilities, teach you how to look for opportunities, and much more.
- Attend a Career Services Workshop or Event- The Career Services Center hosts a broad array of workshops, fairs, and employer information sessions. These events are open to all currently enrolled SMC students. Until SMC returns to an on-ground platform, all events take place via a virtual platform.
- Explore our Career and Major Resource Websites - See what you can do with a major or potential career options.
- Connect with Career Services on Social Media - Whether you are deciding on your major, exploring career options, seeking a job or wanting to gain more experience, the SMC Career Services Center is committed to helping you achieve your career goals. Our social media accounts feature key resources and essential information you need to succeed in today’s increasingly hyper-competitive job market. We also record our workshops and share them on our YouTube account.
- Play me3® - Let us help you explore a major, identify a degree program offered at SMC and connect you to careers that fit your interests and passions, through me3®, an online interactive major and career quiz.