Select questions that are appropriate for your target career field and stage of decision-making. Topics might include the nature of a person’s work, how to get started in the field, or effective approaches for the job search. The following are sample informational interview questions.
- Do you have a college degree?
- Where did you go to school and what did you major in?
- What do you like/best worst about your job/work?
- What educational background in necessary for this job?
- What are the steps necessary to break into this field?
- What made you decide to pursue this profession?
- What is a typical day like for you?
- What are important skills needed for this job?
- What is the salary range for this occupation?
- What might I expect to earn in an entry level position in this career?
- What are some related occupations to your profession?
- What books/journals/associations would you suggest I explore for further information?
**DO NOT ask the person how much they specifically make**