Food security is a huge issue on college campuses and SMC is here for you! A Resource Specialist is available to meet with students virtually through zoom or by phone to address food security needs. Students who want to apply for Cal Fresh or learn more about other food resources, should email email@example.com.
About Food Security
Student success is largely impacted by health and nutrition, and we recognize the challenge many of our students face accessing affordable and nutritious food. Santa Monica College offers several programs to address food insecurity needs and refer students to a wide variety of community-based resources.
SMC’s Office of Student Life along with the Associated Students Board of Directors have led the way in developing programs that directly provide nutritious meals to students as well as assisting students in identifying resources to nutritious food. Food security programs and events are supported by the Associated Students, Student Health Services, and the SMC Foundation.
Pop-Up Drive-Thru Food Pantry
Wednesdays, 12:30-2:30 p.m. (or until supplies last) Rain or shine!
- Proof of Current Enrollment: Be prepared to show your SMC ID card or current enrollment by holding it up against the closed car window. No exceptions.
- Limit: One (1) bag per student (or until supplies last)
- All students must wear face coverings. Mandatory social distancing enforced.
SMC's Drive-Thru Pantry is made possible by:
- Sunrise Produce
- Westside Food Bank
- Venice Family Clinic
- The Butter End Cakery
- SMC Foundation
- Vicente Foods
Sunrise Produce will provide individually packaged produce boxes with an assortment of fresh fruits and vegetables. This will be in addition to produce provided by Westside Food Bank and Vicente Foods.
Directions - Mandatory Social Distancing Enforced
- All vehicles must enter Parking Lot #1 at Pearl Street, west of 20th Street. (Located behind the Science Building).
- Once you reach the distribution booths, put your vehicle in park & turn off the engine.
- Step out of your car to collect the food and quickly & safely return to depart.
- Only students may exit the car. If multiple students arrive together, you must take turns exiting the vehicle to maintain social distancing.
- No proxies will be accepted.
- No Vehicle? While SMC strongly encourages everyone to arrive separately in a vehicle for your safety and ours, we understand some students may solely depend on public transportation.
- A mandatory social distancing line – requiring each individual to stand a minimum of six (6) feet apart at all times – will be strongly enforced by SMCPD. Enter from Pico Blvd.
You don’t have to choose between purchasing books and eating healthy! CalFresh is California’s Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program. You may be eligible for up to $192 per month in CalFresh benefits!
We can help you with application assistance and answer any questions. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an appointment. If approved, you’ll receive an EBT card that can be used to buy groceries in most food stores and farmer’s markets.
Coming soon to campus is the Bodega: SMC’s first centralized food pantry! The Bodega neighbors the main cafeteria and will be open four days a week. Any currently enrolled student is welcome to come by during operating hours and choose from a selection of non-perishable food items, fresh produce, Everytable meals, toiletries, and clothing items.
Hours: Opening date TBD
How to Help
If you would like to help by donating food or sharing where food is available, visit:
Food Bell - Provide leftover food
SMC Foundation - Donate to provide food
Meal Project - Deliver food to students in need