- Click on the "SMC Waiver Form" link below.
- Enter your SMC username and password.
- Your username is your last, first, and middle name (or a portion of your middle name) in this format: lastname_firstname_middlename.
- Complete and submit the form. Do not forget to attach appropriate documentation.
- Once submitted, you will be prompted to view and download a PDF version of the submitted form. Please save this copy for your records.
Follow the directions above to submit a waiver for the following courses: English, ESL, Math, Anatomy 1, Biology 21, and Chemistry 11. For all other waivers, you will need to contact the appropriate departments.
For general placement questions and/or questions regarding the SMC placement process, please email the SuccessandEngagement@smc.edu
The Success and Engagement Center is NOT able to process these requests however directions for waiver requests are included below.
- Anatomy 2, Biology 22, 23, Microbiology 1, Nursing 17, Physiology 3, course prerequisite waivers can only be granted by the Life Sciences Department (a course syllabus may be required).
- Chemistry 12, 21, 22, 24, 31 and Physics 7, 9, 22, 23, 24, course prerequisite waivers can only be granted by the Physical Sciences Department (a course syllabus may be required).
Send waiver requests to ScienceWaivers@smc.edu. Be sure to include scanned transcripts, web links to official course descriptions or course outlines, scanned syllabi (optional but recommended), and anything else you think would assist in verifying your waiver. Make sure to clearly state your waiver request, and include your complete name and SMC student ID#.
If you have questions regarding your waiver request, use the email above or contact the Sciences Department Office located in (SCI 258) at 310-434-4788. You may also contact the appropriate Life Sciences or Physical Sciences Chair with questions about the process.
For the following IxD waivers (Com St 310, IxD 330-470, or Psych 320), you will need to contact the CMD Counselors, Ashley Adjei at Adjei_Ashley@smc.edu or Marisela Canela at Canela_Marisela@smc.edu to submit your waiver.
Due to high demand, processing can take up to 7 business days. You will receive an email to your SMC email account letting you know the outcome of your waiver.
You can also review your results by going to Corsair Connect; click the "Enrollment" tab; click "Student Records"; click " Placement History" report. Refer to the "Prerequisite/Corequisite Waivers" section.
- Authorized — means you were approved for the class specified
- Unauthorized — means you were not approved
You may go to the General Counseling Center to request your waiver in person for English, ESL, Math, Anatomy 1, Biology 21, and Chemistry 11.