Why Take Noncredit ESL courses?
SMC's Noncredit ESL courses:
- are free for adults 18 and over*
- are open-entry. This means you can enroll at any time during the semester
- give you the skills you need to succeed at work, school and in your community
- can help you prepare for credit coursework
- allow you to earn Certificates of Competency in English as Second Language
- are for students who do not need college credit or units
*F1 Visa students are not eligible for Noncredit courses
SMC's Noncredit ESL professors:
- have professional training and advanced degrees in teaching students whose native language is not English
- are experts in language acquisition, second language teaching, and linguistics
- speak other languages and many have taught and/or studied abroad
- are a diverse group of experienced and well-qualified individuals who are dedicated to helping you achieve your academic, professional, and personal language learning goals
Which Noncredit ESL classes should I take?
Santa Monica College’s Noncredit ESL Program offers a variety of core courses and support courses. There are five levels of instruction from beginning to high advanced. The program offers courses in listening/speaking, reading/writing, and vocabulary as well as specialized courses to help you prepare for the USCIS Citizenship test and courses that can help you prepare for specific career pathways. The noncredit counselor can help you select the level and courses that are right for you. Courses are offered Monday-Saturday, in the mornings, afternoons, and evenings. Check the Spring 2021 Noncredit ESL Class Schedule and Summer 2021 Class Offerings
How can I enroll in Noncredit ESL classes?
Santa Monica College Bundy Campus
3171 Bundy Drive, Room 112
Los Angeles, CA 90066
Monday-Friday: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
* Due to COVID 19, Bundy Campus is closed until further notice. Noncredit ESL classes and Student Services continue online.
Steps to Enroll in Free Noncredit ESL Courses
Open enrollment. Currently registering for Summer 2021. Summer session begins June 21, 2021
Noncredit Faculty Lead
Lizbeth (Liz) Koenig
Phone: (310) 434-8786