About Strategic Planning
"Strategic Planning" is a cyclical process used by organizations to forecast directions and to update, modify, and identify new goals and objectives, and ways to implement and meet them once established. Santa Monica College has initiated a strategic planning process that will provide an opportunity for the entire SMC community to come together, to envision the future of this remarkable institution and establish new areas of focus.
The last major strategic planning process for SMC took place in 2006-07. Since then, many changes at the college, state, and national levels have taken place—including changes in funding and accountability, challenges in an era of diminishing resources, as well as exciting opportunities to align SMC's outstanding academic programs with state-wide community college initiatives.
The Collaborative Brain Trust, a consultancy group whose team members represent a tremendous depth and breadth of higher education experience, have been identified to guide and facilitate the College's 2016-17 strategic planning process.
This website has important information on the process and highlights key events and dates.
Please take a moment to find out how you can get involved. Santa Monica College needs your input!
Kathryn E. Jeffery, Ph.D.
2016-17 Strategic Planning Processes
- Open Forums, Drop-In Sessions and Survey
- Strategic Planning Workgroup
- SPTF Membership, Purpose, Roles and Operating Procedures
- Strategic Planning Project Work Plan
- Workgroup Members and Resources
- President Kathryn E. Jeffery Memo on SMC Strategic Planning: April 27, 2017 Update
- President Kathryn E. Jeffery Memo on SMC Strategic Planning: February 14, 2017 Update
- President Kathryn E. Jeffery on SMC Strategic Planning: February 27, 2017 Update
- President Kathryn E. Jeffery on SMC Strategic Planning: March 9 , 2017 Update
- President Kathryn E. Jeffery on SMC Strategic Planning: April 27 , 2017 Update
- President Kathryn E. Jeffery on SMC Strategic Planning: August 3, 2017 Update
- Data Portfolio for Strategic Planning
- Strategic Initiatives
- Mission Statement
- Share Feedback for Strategic Initiatives
- Institutional Planning Resource Websites & Documents