Professional Development

Classified Staff Educational Pay Differential Program


Classified Staff Educational Pay Differential Program

SMC encourages active participation on the part of the permanent classified employees in life-long learning and continued education by providing a Classified Education Pay Differential for successful completion of approved educational training.

Classified Education Pay Differential opportunities include obtaining Associate in Arts/Science Degrees, Bachelor of Arts/Science Degrees, Master of Arts/Science Degrees, an Educational Certificate and/or a Professional License in a job related field. (District - CSEA Agreement Article 11.10)

Please follow the guidelines below to determine your eligibility and potential differential percentage.

Education Pay Differential Guidelines:

  • The employee must be a permanent employee
  • The employee must have a satisfactory evaluation
  • At least one-half of the educational training must be completed during the current employment of the employee and must be above and beyond the certificate, degree, or license requirement(s) which are all or part of the training and experience of the employee's present position
  • The certificate or degree must be granted by an institution approved by the American Council on Education
  • An authorized licensing board of the State of California must grant the professional license.
  • In the case of a certificate or professional license, the educational training must directly relate to the employee's job definition as described in the job specification

If you meet all of the applicable criteria, please submit:

  1. Complete the Request for Education Pay Differential Request for Education Pay Differential Form
  2. Include an official transcript for degree programs, or the number of semester units or quarter units and the accrediting/licensing agency for certificate and professional licensing programs.
  3. When you click on the blue button, you will be redirected to adobe sign. Enter your credentials to fill out the form on adobe sign.


Request for Education Pay Differential Form

For additional information or for answers to any questions, please contact:

Office of Human Resources