The District encourages the professional growth of classified employees. If you are a permanent classified employee of the District, you may be eligible for District "reimbursement of tuition, registration, and/or cost of books or materials for classes, conferences or workshops taken during the employee's non-work hours." (Please refer to District-POA Bargaining Agreement, Article 11.11)
What is eligible for reimbursement?
- Tuition or registration for classes, conferences, or workshops which directly relate to the employee’s current classification (or approved classification within the same job family of the current classification), and/or the cost of books or materials for the classes, conferences, or workshops.
- The classes, conferences, or workshops must be taken at an accredited community college, college or university, or adult school, and the employee must receive a passing grade or credit.
Is there a maximum amount that can be reimbursed?
- Reimbursement is limited to a maximum of $750.00 per employee in one fiscal year, subject to funding availability.
- There is a limited amount of funds available for reimbursement, and all funds are allocated on a first-come, first-served basis.
Who is eligible for reimbursement?
- The employee must have been a permanent employee of the District for not less than one year.
- Employees who receive reimbursement during one fiscal year shall not be eligible for reimbursement for a period of one full year thereafter.
- Employees under a disciplinary or overall work improvement notice may apply for reimbursement if the request is directly related to the stated job improvements cited in the notice.
How do I get a reimbursement?
- Three weeks prior to the class, conference, or workshop, fill out and submit the
Have your supervisor approve and sign this form and send a copy to the Professional Development Coordinator (see contact below).
- Register for and attend the class, conference, or workshop. Please remember to obtain and keep the following documents: proof of payment, registration confirmation, and a transcript or grade report.
- After completing the class, conference, or workshop, fill out and submit the
proof of payment,
registration confirmation, and
a transcript or grade report with a passing grade or credit to the Professional Development Coordinator.
- All of these materials must be submitted within one month of completing the class, conference, or workshop in order to receive reimbursement.
- POA Request for Classes, Conferences, and Workshops Funding Form
- To be submitted at least three weeks prior to event to set aside funding
- POA Professional Growth Reimbursement Claim Form
- To be submitted within one month after completion of event for reimbursement of expenses
For additional information or questions, please contact
Office of Human Resources – 310-434-4415 / ProfDevelopment@smc.edu