How to Get Started with Social Media
Are you able to answer the questions above?
- Make sure your social media account includes the SMC name. The shorter, the easier it is to remember.
- Instagram and Twitter: @SMC_
- Facebook: SMC ____ or ____ at SMC
- Email account info to email@example.com and add as admin to:
- Post content 2 to 3 times a week at least.
- Text: Keep it short and vary the content. Tag other accounts and locations if relevant. Hashtag is stylized as #ProudToBeSMC.
- Graphics: Has less than 20% text. Do not use borders.
- Photos: High-quality, engaging and vibrant photos.
- Share and engage with your audience.
- Respond timely.
- Be kind, helpful, and transparent.
- Follow copyright and standards.
- Be professional. Stay neutral and do not endorse.
- Get expert responses when in doubt about inquiries or inappropriate posts.
Don't Want to Start an Account?
Promote on the main SMC channels! Send photos and text as timely as possible.
Web Content and Social Media Manager Regina Ip will work with you on how to best promote your event, program, activity, or announcement.
Need Help or Recommendations?
Email Web Content and Social Media Manager Regina Ip your social media and digital marketing questions.
About Social Media at SMC
Social media at SMC is an engaging way to get to know Santa Monica College!
SMC has won various social media awards from the National Council for Marketing & Public Relations (NCMPR) and Community College Public Relations Organization (CCPRO).