Website Editing FAQ
Make sure you’re in the Edit tab.
Take a look in these places:
- Faculty and Staff Links
- Report Broken Link from Google Search
- Check Migration Map. Note: You need to use Citrix to access the old site.
- Use Site Map for an outline of new site pages.
- Do a Global Search
If that doesn't work, it means the page was:
- Renamed. Look at the link path, it's in the folder with another name.
- Created after December 13, 2019 or not moved over. You need to download/copy content from the current site to place on the new one. Remember to link the links to the pages on the new site.
Bookmark your pages using the Bookmark gadget.
The Staging site is your "Editing" site, the Production site is the "LIve" site available to the public.
Staging site addresses start with: "a.cms.omniupdate.com/..." and require a login to view them. Production site addresses start with "https://www.smc.edu/..." and anyone can see them.
If you are on the Staging site and editing, and want to view the public address of your page, image, or document, click the ellipsis in the top right corner for "More Actions," and choose "View the Published Page." This will open a new window to the corresponding file on the Production site.
The vanity URLs will continue work.
For the long links:
- Find and replace with Migration Map as reference.
- Example: Find "/StudentServices/CareerServicesCenter/Pages/" and replaced "/student-support/career-services/"
Remember to update webdev.smc.edu to www.smc.edu.
With any large website migration, this is a normal part of the process.
Remember, you can't break the website and we’re here to help if you need it.
If you delete a file, you can recover from the recycle bin.
If you delete a folder, it will prompt you to type delete to make sure you want to delete. When you delete a folder, it's gone forever. Just delete files, then the folder if needed.
We wish it was a magic wand too! Need to be strategic in how we use the website, which is meant for general information to students and the public.
All content is public for transparency. Use other tools, including Office 365 and Canvas for other materials.
Marketing needs to be targeted depending on audience, channel, and other variables.