SMC Current Software Licenses
All District-owned computers to run:
- Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook
- Web Browsers (Internet Explorer, FireFox, and Chrome)
- McAfee antivirus software
A limited number of District-owned computers to run the following software. Please contact
Steve Peterson for information on availability or for assistance in obtaining discounts on the purchase of additional copies or additional titles.
- Adobe applications including Acrobat, Illustrator, Photoshop, Dreamweaver and Flash
- Various discipline-specific software packages
Microsoft Office Home Use Program for SMC Faculty/Staff
Currently through the SMC Microsoft Campus Agreement, Microsoft is offering a
Home Use Program selling Microsoft Office 2010 or Office for Mac 2011 for $9.95 to SMC faculty and staff. If you have not received an information email detailing the use of this program please contact
Microsoft Products for SMC Faculty/Staff
Microsoft Office 2010, Windows 7 Ultimate and Office for Mac 2011 software are now available through the
Work at Home program from
CollegeBuys.org and the Foundation for California Community Colleges. Faculty and staff are eligible to purchase these for $45 each.
Microsoft Products for Students
Under our Microsoft
Select License Program (orders fulfilled by our vendor-partner Journey Education), Office 2010 has been available for purchase since May 1, 2010 as an electronic download. Student prices range around $79.95 for Office 2010, $84.95 for Office for Mac 2011, and $89.95 for Windows 7 Professional. Faculty might want to inform students of this opportunity, whether in the class syllabus or by mentioning it on the first day of class. The website address is
Most software vendors offer special discounted pricing for educational institutions. In some cases, even greater discounts are available that have been negotiated for us by Larry Toy in the Foundation for California Community Colleges. Check out the
US College Buy website.
Computerland of Silicon Valley reliable source for Adobe/Macromedia titles, though ComputerLand can also provide you with discounts on many other software products.
Using District Funds to purchase apps for iPads
The following procedures have been assembled to facilitate the purchase and required record-keeping (asset tracking) for Apple apps. SMC users wishing to purchase apps using District funds will use the standard SMC Purchase Requisition form and process. Many thanks to the Purchasing Department for helping delineate these procedures and providing a
The requisition should contain the following information:
- Quantity, U/M (will always be "each", or abbreviated "ea"), Catalog or Apple Part Number and name of each application
- The deliver to location should be Steve Peterson
- Included on the comment section of the requisition is a list of end-users who are to receive the app along with the details of which apps each end-user should receive. If the apps are to be installed on District owned iPads that do not have specific, assigned users, the SMC serial number of each iPad should be noted, along with the location of where the iPads are used and the email address(es) of the person(s) responsible for installation the apps on the iPads.
Fiscal/Purchasing and Receiving
- When the requisition has been approved, forwarded to Fiscal and received by the Purchasing Department, Purchasing will generate a Purchase Order issued to Apple for the purchase of the vouchers.
- Apple will send the vouchers to SMC Receiving department.
- The vouchers will be recorded and delivered to Steve Peterson per the instructions indicated by the requestor and subsequently included on the purchase order.
Information Technology/Academic Computing
- IT will redeem vouchers to add credit to accounts which will then be used to obtain license key codes.
- IT will inventory and disseminate license key codes via e-mail to the users listed on the original Purchase Order.
- IT will assist further if users have any issues downloading apps.
Steve Peterson for additional assistance with software quotations.