Applying to SMC is Easy!
Note: Parents please do not complete the application on behalf of your child. Assit them!
1. Create an OpenCCC Account First:
- Create an OpenCCC account using either your cell phone number or email address – avoid using temporary emails issued by other schools, or email accounts that are temporary in nature
- Once you have created an OpenCCC account you will be issued an OpenCCC ID number – remember, this is NOT your SMC ID number.
- If you have previously created an OpenCCC account, but do not remember the login information, you can recover your account data via email or text message by clicking the “Forgot?” tab on the sign-in screen. SMC does not have access to OpenCCC account data and is unable to assist in account recovery, see the ‘Technical Questions’ section below for OpenCCC contact information.
2. Apply to SMC:
- Once you have created your OpenCCC account, you will automatically be routed into the Santa Monica College application.
- Upon completing the application you will be issued a confirmation number, if you have not received a confirmation number the application is not yet finished.
- OpenCCC will save your application progress. You can access your in-progress application by signing in at smc.edu/CCCApply
- Keep a record of your application confirmation number in case there are any delays in processing.
3. Check your Email
- Applications are typically processed and admitted within 30 minutes of completing the application.
- If admitted, you will receive a series of emails from Admissions@smc.edu regarding activating your student, any outstanding issues with your application, and your next steps for enrollment.
- Occasionally, SMC will require some additional verification from the student before processing their application. If that is the case, you will receive an email from Admissions@smc.edu asking you to provide that additional information.
- If you do not receive any email update, please send an email to Admissions@smc.edu containing your name and confirmation number and a staff member will investigate the status of your application.
4: Activate your SMC Account
- You will receive an email titled SMC Account Information - follow the instructions there to set up your SMC account. This email contains your SMC username and a temporary passcode. This is a required step, to activate your account you will be asked to set up a password and account security questions. Once your account is active you will have access to Corsair Connect, our student enrollment portal.
- Once you have applied, you will get an email informing you if Orientation is required. New students must generally complete the orientation in order to receive an enrollment date and enroll in classes.
- Once you have applied, you will get an email informing you how to review your course
placement in Corsair Connect. If necessary, you can complete the placement process there!
- New students must generally complete the orientation in order to receive an enrollment date and enroll in classes. placement, and education planning are required. See a counselor to help select your classes.
- Meet with a counselor to assist you with your education plan, course selections, transfer
questions, and to learn about campus resources.
- Create your own education plan using the award-winning MyEdPlan. You can submit your ed plan for counselor review right from MyEdPlan.
- Once you complete all steps above, you will be able to enroll in classes for the term you applied for. You may enroll on or after your enrollment date and time.
- Find your enrollment date and time, and also enroll in classes on Corsair Connect.
- Effective Winter/Spring 2022, on-ground class enrollment requires pre-approved proof of vaccination. Online class enrollment does not require proof of vaccination (details at Vaccines).
- Finish your degree or certificate faster by enrolling in 12-15 units in fall and spring semesters.
- Review the Schedule of Classes and then enroll on your student portal, Corsair Connect.