Student Support

AB 540 California Nonresident Tuition Exemption



Any student, other than one with United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) nonimmigrant visa status (see exception below for students who have been granted T or U visa status), who satisfies the four requirements (below), will be exempt from paying nonresident tuition at the California Community Colleges (including SMC), the University of California, and the California State University (all public colleges and universities in California).

Once granted the AB 540 tuition exemption, students will be eligible for in-state fees. Find out how and then submit your AB 540 Tuition Exemption form.

AB 540 Tuition Exemption Form

Eligibility Requirements


For questions, email our Residency specialists in the Admissions & Records Office or join our QLess line.