SMC Promise students who submitted a FAFSA must ALSO meet all the SMCP requirements and be eligible for the California College Promise Grant (CCPG) fee waiver in order to be eligible for the SMCP Book Voucher. If a student can not use the book voucher on the SMC Bookstore or SMC Bookstore website (and the deadline hasn't passed), but the student's financial aid portal in Corsair Connect shows that they are receiving the CCPG fee waiver for 2023 - 2024, please contact us: Welcomecenter@smc.edu
Note: If you recently Opted In and met the requirements, it takes 24 hours from the day you meet all the SMCP requirements for the system to update and allow you to use your Book Voucher. In addition, ONLY the Financial Aid office can see student financial aid records and make changes to profiles. Welcome Center staff can only view general information that students already have access to.
Students who have questions about completing their FAFSA or need additional information about what documents they may need to submit (after viewing their financial aid portal in Corsair Connect) can contact the Financial Aid office.
Note: ONLY the Financial Aid office can see student financial aid records and make changes to profiles. Welcome Center staff can only view general information that students already have access to.
SMC Promise requires students to complete 12+ units/ DSPS unit reduction during the Fall and Spring semesters, counselors are available to help students remain at full-time status. SMC Promise students can work with an academic counselor to make sure they are taking the correct classes for their educational goal and their correct skill level, to ensure successful completion.
Students can connect with a counselor by visiting the General Counseling webpage.
- SMC Promise students who do not complete 12 units/ DSPS unit reduction in Fall or Spring semester (or received a F / NP/ W/ EW), may become eligible for the future semesters by making up the units in the subsequent short term semester. Only students that meet the SMC Promise Requirements at the deadline, Spring 2024 SMCP requirement deadline 04/21/2024, will qualify to Regain Eligibility. Example; student fell out during the Fall semester, can make up the deficit in units during the Winter session. Class fees will be due if a student does not qualify for a CCPG- Fee Waiver.
- Student must have a minimum of 12 units/ DSPS unit reduction completed with grades of A, B, C, D or P (W, I, IP, SP NP grades do not count) between Spring 2024 and Summer 2024 to regain for Fall 2024.
- Eligibility will be updated once final grades for the “make-up” class/units are posted to the student’s transcript.
Funding eligibility for inter-session courses (i.e., Winter and Summer) is unchanged. Most students making up units will generally need to pay out-of-pocket, unless they are receiving the CCPG fee waiver.
SMC Promise Special consideration
- If you do not qualify to Regain Eligibility or if you have an extenuating circumstance, please email the Welcomecenter@smc.edu(opens in new window) to request a SMC Promise Special Consideration. It is not guaranteed that you will gain eligibility, but your file will be reviewed.
To get your physical student ID card, follow these steps:
- Verify/Update mailing address in Corsair Connect
- Contact the Cashier's Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) from your SMC student email account and include all of the following required info:
- identifiable passport-style photo of yourself
- identifiable photo of your valid state ID or Passport
- your full name, that matches what was used on the SMC application
- your SMC ID number
Once the Cashier's Office has received, reviewed, and verified your email, your SMC ID card will be created and sent to the mailing address on file in Corsair Connect within a few business days. It is not the responsibility of SMC to verify mailing addresses, so please be sure to do this BEFORE submitting an email request for your ID card.
For more information about SMC ID cards, please visit the Cashier's Office webpage.
For assistance with all other problems, please visit the SMC Promise FAQ page.