March 15, 2021
Fall 2021 at SMC: Online + In-Person Course Offerings
Dear SMC Students:
It has been a year since Santa Monica College moved to an online environment because of the COVID-19 pandemic. We have been through so much together. I know this has not been an easy year. Thank you for the resilience and persistence you have shown, and for continuing your educational journey at SMC. We do not take the privilege of serving you lightly, and care deeply about you and your future.
This memo contains an important update about the Fall 2021 semester. Please read this to the end.
SMC to Offer Both Online Courses + Significant In-Person Offerings
For the Fall 2021 semester, which begins August 30, Santa Monica College will offer a flexible array of course offerings. This is based on Los Angeles County moving into the red tier today which allows for Institutes of Higher Education like SMC to provide lecture classes at a reduced room capacity, the promising vaccine rollout, and President Biden’s recent announcement that by May 1, all adults in the U.S. will be eligible for COVID-19 vaccinations.
While most classes will be online, a significant number of in-person offerings will also be made available. SMC will be following all the safety protocols mandated by the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC), California Department of Public Health, and the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health for Institutes of Higher Education. In addition, SMC will develop robust safety plans and protocols specific to every class and activity that takes place on ground.
It is important to note that in-person course offerings may pivot back to an online, remote environment should public health conditions related to COVID-19 not improve as currently anticipated. This is a dynamic situation; Santa Monica College retains a flexible, nimble approach that follows science and public health guidance, while keeping your wellbeing the highest priority.
Where to View Fall 2021 Schedule of Classes
The Fall 2021 schedule of classes goes live online on Monday, April 12 (enrollment begins Monday, April 26; check Corsair Connect after March 30 to obtain your specific enrollment date and time). View the online schedule of classes. The search criteria will be updated by April 12 to allow students to search for online or on-ground/in-person class types, based on preference.
Counseling, Student Support Services & Faculty Office Hours: Fall 2021
Counseling, faculty office hours, and other student support services that require
face-to-face contact with students will continue to be accessible online. SMC will
provide further information about which support services specifically will be online,
on-ground, or both online and on-ground closer to the start of Fall 2021 semester. Please monitor your SMC student
email for further updates.
Spring 2021 & Summer 2021: Reminder of What’s On-Ground vs. What’s Not
SMC remains mostly online for Spring 2021 and Summer 2021 as previously announced, with the exception of limited practicum lab tools for students in disciplines deemed essential by the State of California such as Nursing and Respiratory Therapy.
Based on new guidance from LA County Public Health and with required safety protocols in place (including rigorous testing requirements), low-contact, spring intercollegiate sports are returning on-ground the week of March 15 for conditioning and practice, with competition to commence after spring break. This includes swimming, tennis, and track & field. No decision has yet been made about fall sports, but we are optimistic that they will also resume competition per their regular season.
SMC is Here for You: A Reminder of Available Services
Please know that we mean it when we say, “Santa Monica College is here for you.” This has been an unprecedented time in human history—I know that the COVID-19 pandemic has impacted your lives greatly. Be sure to take advantage of these services at SMC:
- The Center for Wellness & Wellbeing: Short-term *free* counseling and confidential therapy is available via phone or video-chat: call 310-434-4503 or email email@example.com to set up an appointment. SMC can help you manage stress or anxiety. You are not alone—we will get through this together.
- Free Emotional Support Hotline + Free Virtual Healthcare: Call the 24/7 emotional support hotline at 1-800-691-6003. Services are free and completely confidential. For more resources, check out the Center for Wellness & Wellbeing’s webpage. You can also access free virtual, confidential healthcare with a nurse or nurse practitioner in Student Health Services! Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 310-434-4262 to schedule a same day appointment for immunizations (not COVID-19 vaccines, however; for information on COVID-19 vaccines, go to this LA County Public Health webpage.).
- Free Chromebook Lending Program: SMC continues its free technology-lending program. If you are in need of a Chromebook, please contact your instructor or an SMC counselor.
- Free Student Wi-Fi at Bundy: SMC continues to extend the services of a free Wi-Fi area at the SMC Bundy Campus East Parking Lot, available Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 10 p.m. (available all semester to enrolled students, except official holidays). In addition, to find free WiFi service close to you in Los Angeles County, check out this online WiFi Locator Tool.
- Weekly Drive-Thru Pop-up Food Pantry: If you need grocery money, and think you might be eligible for CalFresh, reach out to email@example.com to meet virtually with a resource specialist. Also, come by SMC’s weekly drive-through pop-up food pantry held every Wednesday at 12:30pm, rain or shine! Go to SMC’s food security webpage for more information.
- The Largest Student Support Network in California: SMC has the most extensive one-on-one student support network of any California community college. This past year, we have been especially grateful for the highly skilled 170+ career and academic counselors (including psychologists) who are supporting our amazing instructors in ensuring that SMC helps you stay on track to reach your academic/career goals. Connect with a counselor. And be sure to take advantage of the many events and workshops taking place online.
Stay healthy; stay strong. Continue to follow all health and safety guidance—wear a face covering, socially distance, consider getting vaccinated when it is your turn. At SMC, we look forward to a year that is brighter than the one that has gone by. Your tenacity has inspired all of us, and this college remains fully committed to meeting you where you are. Thank you again for choosing Santa Monica College!
Wishing you all the best,
Kathryn E. Jeffery, Ph.D.
P.S.: An update regarding Big Blue Bus. Starting March 1, students must use a mobile pass to ride the Big Blue Bus.
Here is how to get your mobile pass:
- Pay your $
19.50A.S. fees on Corsair Connect
- An email from BigBlueBus@smc.edu will be sent to you with instructions on how to download the app and register for the pass.
- Download the Token Transit app to find your mobile pass in the wallet. Use it to board.
- Student IDs are no longer accepted to board the bus.
- Read this FAQ for details about the mobile pass. Contact BigBlueBus@smc.edu with questions.