Santa Monica College's Law Pathway program fosters the skills needed to excel in a legal career. The Law Pathway program is designed to help SMC's traditionally underrepresented students that are interested in a legal career in becoming competitive applicants to law school.
Law Pathway Program Benefits
- Exposure to careers in law
- Networking, leadership and mentoring opportunities
- SMC priority enrollment
- Membership to the SMC Pre-Law Society
- LSAT Test prep support
- Priority admissions review at these participating law schools:
Students accepted into the Law Pathway program will be required to complete the following course requirements:
- COUN 20: Student Success Seminar - 3 units
- ENGL 1: Reading and Composition - 3 units
- ENGL 2: Critical Analysis and Intermediate Composition - 3 units
- MATH 54, Elementary Statistics - 4 units
- POL SC 1: National and California Government - 3 units
- HIST 11: United States History through Reconstruction - 3 units OR HIST 12: United States History Since Reconstruction - 3 units
- COM ST 21: Argumentation - 3 units
- POL SC 24: Intro to Law - 3 units OR BUS 5: Business Law and the Legal Environment - 3 units
**Advanced Placement credit may be used to fulfill some course requirements.
Program Admission Priorities
When Law Pathway applications are reviewed, priority consideration will be given to the following criteria:
- 3.00 or higher cumulative GPA
- Commitment to complete all program and course requirements
- Eligible to enroll in English 1
- Come from a traditionally underrepresented background
Unfortunately, students who already have an associate's or bachelor's degree are not eligible to apply for the program.
Law Pathway Program Application ProcessThe application for the 2021-2022 Law Pathway cohort has closed. The application for the next cohort will open in July 2022.
Continuing Law Pathway Participants (currently in the program)
If you are currently in the Santa Monica College Law Pathway Program and you wish to communicate with the Law Pathway Counselor, please contact Vicenta Arrizon at firstname.lastname@example.org.