Santa Monica College's Law Pathway program fosters the skills needed to excel in a legal career. The Law Pathway program is designed to help SMC's traditionally underrepresented students that are interested in a legal career in becoming competitive applicants to law school.
New Students Interested in the Law Pathway Program
Thank you for your interest in the Santa Monica College Law Pathway Program. Due to a series of conditions, such as the COVID-19 pandemic and SMC operating in a remote environment, as well as program restructuring, the Law Pathway Program will not accept applications for the 20/21 academic year.
Please check this website in June 2021 for information regarding the 21/22 Law Pathway application, as well as dates and deadlines. In the meantime, if you have any questions, please email LawPathway@smc.edu.
Benefits to Being a Law Pathway Student
- Exposure to careers in law
- Networking, leadership and mentoring opportunities
- SMC priority enrollment
- Membership to the SMC Pre-Law Society
- LSAT Test prep support
- Priority admissions review at participating law schools
Participating Law Schools
- UCLA School of Law
- UC Berkeley School of Law
- Loyola Marymount University
- Santa Clara University
- University of California, Davis
- University of California, Irvine
- University of San Francisco
- University of Southern California
- Pepperdine University
Program Admission Priorities
When Law Pathway applications are reviewed, priority will be given to the following criteria:
- 3.00 or higher cumulative GPA
- Able to make the two-year commitment to the program
- Eligible to enroll in English 1
- Traditionally underrepresented students
Unfortunately, students who already have a bachelor's degree are not eligible to apply for the program.
Students accepted into the Law Pathway program will be required to complete the following course requirements:
- COUN 20: Student Success Seminar - 3 units
- ENGL 1: Reading and Composition - 3 units
- ENGL 2: Critical Analysis and Intermediate Composition - 3 units
- MATH 54, Elementary Statistics - 4 units
- POL SC 1: National and California Government - 3 units
- HIST 11: United States History through Reconstruction - 3 units OR HIST 12: United States History Since Reconstruction - 3 units
- COM ST 21: Argumentation - 3 units
- POL SC 24: Intro to Law - 3 units OR BUS 5: Business Law and the Legal Environment - 3 units
- POL SC 94: Law Experiential Learning - 0.5 unit
**Advanced Placement credit may be used to fulfill some course requirements.
Continuing Law Pathway Student (currently in the program)
If you are currently in the Santa Monica College Law Pathway Program and you wish to communicate with the Law Pathway Counselor, please contact Vicenta Arrizon at email@example.com.