Financial aid is used to pay for mandatory fees, books, transportation, room and board, and other education-related costs. Before starting enrollment procedures, contact the Financial Aid Office. The Financial Aid Office is open Monday and Thursday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Tuesday and Wednesday from 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m., and Friday from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Hours for the Financial Aid Office’s Q-less online phone system are Monday and Thursday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Tuesday and Wednesday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Friday from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. Hours are subject to change without notice. For additional information, please see smc.edu/financialaid or call 310-434-4343.
SMC offers various types of financial aid:
- Grants (Pell Grant, SEOG, Cal Grant B, C, ACG): Need-based assistance that does not need to be repaid.
- California College Promise Grant (CCPG): Need-based enrollment fee waivers for eligible California residents.
- Santa Monica College Promise: Free enrollment and fee waivers for students who graduate from a California high school or complete a high school equivalency test (e.g., GED® or HiSET®) and go directly to SMC as full-time students (see smc.edu/freetuition for details).
- Federal Work-Study (FWS) funds: Federally funded program that provides wages to eligible students for employment.
- Loans: Federally administered, low-interest funds that must be repaid.
- Scholarships: Awards from foundations and private endowments or individuals.
- FAFSA application availableOctober 1
- FAFSA and Cal Grant priority deadlineMarch 2
- Extended Cal Grant deadlineSeptember 2
- You must be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
- Possess a Social Security Number (SSN)
- Demonstrate financial need (except for SMC Promise and many scholarships)
- Have a high school diploma, GED, California High School Proficiency Certificate, or demonstrate an ability to benefit from post-secondary education
- Comply with Selective Service registration (if required)
You can apply as early as December, and you do not need to wait to be admitted to SMC to apply. To be given full consideration, you must apply by March 2.
- Create your FSA ID username and password at fsaid.ed.gov. To expedite the financial aid process, have your parent create one also.
- Once you receive your PIN, go to the Federal Student Aid website to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Santa Monica College’s Federal School Code is 001286.
- When the FAFSA is sent to the Federal Processor, this information is put through the eligibility-determining formula and an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is calculated. A Student Aid Report (SAR) on financial aid eligibility will be mailed to you.