CalWORKs Program



CalWORKs Program

The California Work Opportunities and Responsibilities to Kids Program (CalWORKs) at Santa Monica College works in collaboration with the Department of Public Social Services (DPSS) and the Greater Avenues to Independence Program (GAIN) to assist students who receive CalWORKs as a means of public assistance.  To be eligible for the CalWORKs program, students must currently receive cash aid/CalWORKs benefits for themselves and their dependent child/children.

Program services include:

  • Individual academic and career counseling

  • Coordination and advocacy with the Department of Public Social Services (DPSS)

  • Priority Enrollment

  • Work-study opportunities

  • Workshops
  • Referrals to campus and community resources

Program Requirements

  • Students must currently receive cash aid for themselves and their dependent child/children.

  • Please email to receive the CalWORKs application and to make an appointment to meet with the CalWORKs counselor.

Connect with Us!

Below you will find information on the different ways to connect with our CalWORKs Program Staff and Counselors

New CalWORKs Students & GAIN Workers

  • New GAIN students or GAIN workers are required to make an appointment to have GAIN paperwork/contracts completed. We will not see a new student/participant without an appointment.

  • Call (310) 434-4082 or email  to schedule an appointment.

Work-Study Student Jobs Available

  • Are you interested in adding work experience to your resume? Are you looking for additional money which is exempt from your cash aid? If so, then Work-Study is for you!

  • Applications are being accepted now. For more info, please email


CalWORKs Contact Information & Office Hours


Contact & Location


Student Services Center (SSC) 238

1900 Pico Blvd.

Santa Monica, CA 90405

Phone:  (310) 434-4082




Office Hours


Monday: 8:00am -4:30pm

Tuesday: 8:00am -4:30pm

Wednesday: 8:00am -4:30pm

Thursday: 8:00am - 4:30pm

Friday: 8:00am - 4:30pm

* Office hours subject to change