Student Support

Out of State Colleges & Universities


School Macots for various US Colleges and Universities

Transfer Requirements

Transferring to an Out-of-State college/university is different than applying to a UC or a CSU. The minimum requirements for transfer vary from college to college, and from major to major. Essentially, the transfer process requires the following:

  • Complete a minimum amount of transferable semester units (usually 30, but this number can vary).

  • Complete the appropriate English and math requirements, if required.

  • Complete general education (GE) courses.

  • Complete courses for the major.

  • Earn and maintain a competitive grade point average (GPA).

  • Apply on time!

The number one reason why students do not consider an out-of-state college or university is usually the cost. “How can I ever afford that type of education?” This is a legitimate question, but to get the answer requires a multi-step process:

  • Identify a school that you would like to attend.

  • Complete the academic requirements to gain admission.

  • Apply when the institution first begins accepting applications, not at or near the deadline. This gives you maximum consideration for institutional scholarships.

  • Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and CSS/Financial Aid profile on time.

  • Check private resources through the Internet (​) or scholarship resource books.

Make sure you apply to multiple institutions in case you do not get the financial help you need. Strategize your transfer options with a counselor.

SMC has many agreements with Out-of-State schools. View a complete list of Schools SMC has agreements with.

If the school of your choice is not listed, meet with a counselor for assistance.

View a complete list of Out-of-State schools.