POL SCI 94 Section #3246 Student Checklist
Students enrolled in POL SC 94 - Section #3246 are required to participate in the Applied and Service Learning Program. Please refer to your course syllabus and/or speak to Professor Christina Gabler to learn how completing the minimum 30 hours of service is factored into your course grade.
- Select and view the Applied and Service Learning Orientation Video. Caption notes are available while viewing the video as well as in PDF form POL SC 94 - Applied and Service Learning Orientation Video Notes
- Complete the Applied and Service Learning Orientation - Completion Quiz. This short quiz allow the program to know that you have viewed the Applied and Service Learning Orientation Video listed above.
- Review the Spring 2020 - POL SC 94 -Applied and Service Learning Dates and Deadlines to know when forms are due to the Career Services Center.
- Review the student forms needed to participate Printed forms are also available at the Career Services Center.
- Review the Spring 2020 - POL SC 94 Section 3246 List of Approved Organizations.
- If you are interested in completing the 30 hour minimum requirement at an organization not found on the Spring 2020 - POL SC 94 Section 3246 List of Approved Organizations, make sure to submit the Alternative Placement Form to the Career Services Center by February 26, 2020. To learn which types of organizations qualify, please review the Applied and Service Learning Orientation Video.
- Review what organizations fit your schedule and qualifications. Some organizations may require that you complete more than 30 hours. Do not sign up for an organization/program unless you can meet their additional requirements
- You must complete the minimum of 30 hours by the May 21, 2020 deadline. The minimum number of hours must be spread throughout the 14 weeks. Hours cannot be completed in less than a couple of weeks. The minimum 30 hour requirement can only be completed at one organization.
- Contact an approved organization.
- Match with an organization and complete the Student Application and Agreement Form.
- Submit your Student Application and Agreement Form by the March 11, 2020 deadline. Note your minimum hours do not count until you submit your Student Application and Agreement Form to the Career Services Center but no earlier than the start of the Spring 2020 semester.
- Request an add code from the Applied and Service Learning Program. An add code will only be emailed to your SMC student email address after you have submitted your Student Application and Agreement Form.
- Attend any orientations/trainings for your assigned organization
- Document your time on your Time Log form and follow through on your commitment.
- Finalize your Applied and Service Learning Experience and submit your Time Log form and Student Evaluation by the May 21 deadline.
If you have any questions about the Applied and Service-Learning Program, please contact Joan Kang at email@example.com or stop by the Career Services Center on the 2nd floor of the Student Services Building on main campus.
- It is highly recommended that you have your resume reviewed prior to contacting any organization. Contact Joan Kang at firstname.lastname@example.org to request that your resume be reviewed. For additional tips on how to create a resume, check out the Resume Writing 101 for Pre-Law Students video or download the Resume 101 for Pre-Law Workshop Video Transcript Notes.
- Students with disabilities are encouraged to discuss any accommodation needs with the Center for Students with Disabilities.
- International students studying on F1 visas need to speak to an immigration specialist at the International Education Center prior to participating in this applied and service learning experience.
- Students who have not turned 18 years old are required to submit the Minor Consent Form to the Career Services Center before participating in the Applied and Service Learning Program.