ARABIC 1, Elementary Arabic 1, 5 units
Transfer: UC, CSU • IGETC AREA 6A Foreign Language • Prerequisite: None.
This course introduces basic vocabulary and the fundamentals of Modern Standard Arabic
grammar, structure, pronunciation as well as reading, writing, and speaking. Using
natural and audio-lingual approaches, the course prepares students to understand spoken
Arabic, to hold simple conversations, read, and write short descriptive compositions
in Arabic. Aspects of contemporary Arabic culture and Arabic history are covered as
lab is required.
- Syrian Arabic Course: Audio and vocabulary to introduce you to the Syrian Dialect
- Calligraphy Qalam: A look at calligraphy in the Arabic/Persian script
- Arabic Without Walls: A great online Arabic course which makes use of the Al-Kitab textbooks
- BBC Arabic: Keep up to date with current events in Arabic!
- BBC Arabic Live Television: Listen to Modern Standard Arabic as it's used everyday!
- Defense Language Institute Accents Library: Hear how Arabic is spoken across a variety of dialects and accents
- GLOSS: Online lessons in a variety of dialects and critical languages provided by the Defense Language Institute
- Verbix Verb Conjugator: Get help conjugating Arabic verbs.
Many colleges and universities offer baccalaureate degrees in this field. Students planning to transfer to a four-year college or university need to know which courses completed at Santa Monica College will be accepted at the specific college/university. Please consult a Counselor. SMC has transfer articulation agreements with the many UC and CSU campuses, as well as many private and out-of-state institutions.
Degrees and Certificates
Currently, there are no degrees or certificates offered in this discipline at Santa Monica College. Most students should plan to transfer to a four-year institution to continue their education toward a degree in this discipline. Transferring students who wish to qualify for an Associate degree before leaving Santa Monica College should discuss their plans with a Counselor before selecting classes.