Start the process of looking for and renting your new apartment by using the following information to prepare yourself and your finances for a smooth experience.
Securing housing is a big responsibility, and it is important to be prepared for the task. The following steps will help you complete the process:
- Start the process at least a month in advance
- Open a local bank account
- Decide how much you can afford to pay
- Prepare to pay application fees, first and last month’s rent and security deposit
- Write down features that are important to you such as security, parking, laundry, pets, etc.
- Gather web, newspaper and other listings
- Call for availability and viewing appointment
- Inspect the properties carefully
- Fill out an application and be prepared to supply credit information and references
- Establish a move-in date
- Sign a lease or contract and get a copy.
Ask these questions before signing a lease:
- What is the length of the lease?
- What method is the rent paid in?
- What are the policies on deposits and refunds?
- What does the security deposit cover?
- Who pays the utility bills?
- Is parking provided? Is there a fee?
- Who pays for trash removal?
- Who repairs and pays for wear and tear damage?
- What is the maximum occupancy?
- Is laundry done on-site?
- Are there decorating limitations?
- Are there smoking restrictions
- Are there pet restrictions?
- Are there any cable or satellite restrictions?
- Is it rent-controlled?
- When was the last pest/rodent inspection?