Academic and Personal Counseling
International Education Counselors provide academic and personal counseling for students on an F-1 visa and international students studying from their home country. Counselors are available year-round to assist students in a variety of formats.
Fall 2023 In Person Counseling
The International Counseling Center offers in person counseling Monday - Thursday. Depending on the number of students waiting, the line may close early. We will normally see the last student 30 minutes before we close.
- Monday: 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- Tuesday: 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- Wednesday: 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- Thursday: 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Zoom Express Counseling for F-1 Visa and Overseas International Students
Express counseling is for quick questions (for example, some prerequisite waivers, unit increase requests or general transfer questions). Sessions can range depending on the student's questions and concerns.
Express Counseling is not for educational planning, transcript evaluations, or immigration
You must have an SMC student ID number and a photo ID available. Make sure your audio and video are working properly before logging into the service. If you need more than 15 minutes, you will need to submit your questions to the International Counselor.
Note: If the waiting room is full, you will not be able to join at that time. Please check back periodically as the room may reopen.
Meet with an academic counselor to receive assistance with:
- Course planning for continuing students
- Over units (9 in the intersession and/or up to 18 in Spring and Fall)
- Guided Self Placement questions
- Pass/No Pass; Course Repeats
Fall 2023 Zoom Counseling
Zoom Express Counseling is currently available during the following times (Pacific Standard Time).
- Monday: 9 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
- Tuesday: 9 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- Wednesday: 9 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- Thursday: 9 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- Friday: 9 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
Email an International Academic Counselor
- Reduced Course Load, Special Consideration and other forms
- Over units (more than 9 during the intersession and/or more than 18 in Spring and Fall)
- Questions regarding requirements and completion of educational goals
- MyEdPlan review
Counselors will respond within 3 - 5 business days.