Academic and Personal Counseling
International Education Counselors provide academic and personal counseling for F-1 Visa and overseas international students. Counselors are available year-round to assist students in a variety of formats.
Spring 2022 Drop-in Counseling
The International Counseling Center will begin to offer limited in person drop-in counseling beginning February 17th, 2022. We are only able to see students for quick questions (10 - 15 minutes). In person counseling will be closed on Thursday, March 31st to April 14th. Services will resume on Thursday, April 22nd.
- Thursdays 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Students must be cleared for on-campus visits by submitting proof of vaccination in advance. Information may be found at this link – Proof of Vaccination
Students must submit the daily COVID 19 screening found in the SMC Go App or at this link – COVID 19 Screening
In office capacity is currently limited to four students at a time, you may be asked to wait until the students ahead of you are finished before entering the office.
Zoom Express Counseling for F-1 Visa and Overseas International Students
NOTE: We are experiencing a high volume of student requests to join our Zoom Express Counseling. This service can only accommodate a certain amount of students per session. We ask for your patience during this peak period as our staff is limited. If the room is locked, please check back periodically, as the room may reopen.
Meet with a counselor for a 10-15 minute session to receive assistance with:
- Course planning for continuing students
- Over units (9 in the intersession and/or up to 18 in Spring and Fall)
- Guided Self Placement questions
- Pass/No Pass; Course Repeats
Zoom Express Counseling is currently available during the following times (Pacific Standard Time):
May 16 - 20
- Monday: 9 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
- Tuesday: 9 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
- Wednesday: 9 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
- Thursday: 9 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
- Friday: 11 - 3:30 p.m.
Email an International Counselor
- Reduced Course Load, Special Consideration and other forms
- Over units (more than 9 during the intersession and/or more than 18 in Spring and Fall)
- Questions regarding requirements and completion of educational goals
- MyEdPlan review
Counselors will respond within 3 - 5 business days.