Physics Lab Manual
The purpose of this lab is to investigate Simple Harmonic Motion in two simple systems, a mass hanging on a spring and a simple pendulum.
Part A: Mass on a Spring
1. Predict how the time for one oscillation (period) depends on the amplitude of the oscillation. (ie: 3 times amplitude => 3 times period, or 6 times period...)
2. Predict how the time for one period depends on the mass hanging on the spring.
Mass constant - amplitude varied
3. Hang 100 g on the spring. Time ten oscillations for the following spring extensions. PLEASE don't overstretch the springs - they die very easily!
Amplitude constant - mass varied
4. Now keep the amplitude constant at 2.0 cm and change the hanging mass.
Part B: Simple Pendulum
1. Predict how the time for one oscillation (period) depends on the angle of the oscillation. (ie: 3 times angle => 3 times period, or 6 times period...)
2. Predict how the time for one period depends on the length of the string
Length constant - angle varied
3. Fix the string length to be 1.0 m. Measure the time for 10 oscillations at varying angles.
Angle constant - length varied
4. Now keep the angle constant at 15° and change the length of the string.
Summarize your findings regarding the period of motion and the variables in the mass and spring system and the simple pendulum system.