Welcome to the Student Sustainability Workshops!
By participating in the Workshops, participants agree to adhere to the outlined requirements on the syllabus to successfully complete the Workshop.
*The updated Fall 2022 Schedule and Syllabus will be posted closer to the start date of the Workshops in mid-September.
Workshop #1: Introduction - Read Intro & Water Chapters, Complete "Before" Student Sustainability Survey and write down results from the Ecological Footprint Quiz.
Workshop #2: Water - Implement 3 Water Action Items, Read Energy Chapter, Project #1 Assigned
Workshop #3: Energy - Implement 3 Energy Action Items, Read Waste & Shopping Chapter, Project #1 Due, Project #2 Assigned
Workshop #4: Waste/Shopping - Implement 3 Waste and Shopping Action Items, Read Chemicals Chapter, Project #2 Due
Workshop #5: Chemicals - Implement 3 Chemicals Action Items, Read Transportation Chapter, and Project #3 assigned. Look up a personal care product on the Environmental Working Group "Skin Deep" Database
Workshop #6: Transportation - Implement 3 Transportation Action Items, Read Food Chapter, Project #3 Due
Workshop #7: Food - Implement 3 Food Action Items. Volunteer Form due. Complete "After" Student Sustainability Survey to see how you've improved. Turn in any make-up assignments to student leaders by next week.
Workshop #8: Wrap Up - Make-up assignments and "After" Survey are due.
Read the Chapters as assigned on the syllabus or above on the Weekly Breakdown section. Click a chapter to download:
- Intro Chapter
- Water Chapter
- Energy Chapter
- Waste Chapter
- Shopping Chapter
- Chemicals Chapter
- Transportation Chapter
- Food Chapter
- Conclusion Chapter
- Before Survey - This survey must be completed by the second workshop meeting. To complete this survey you must first take the Ecological Footprint Quiz.
- After Survey - This survey must be completed by the last workshop meeting. To complete this survey you must first take the Ecological Footprint Quiz.
At-Home Projects/Volunteer Opportunities
Currently we are offering students the option of completing 3 at-home projects or completing 3 hours of community service with an organization on the community service list provided by Sustainable Works. To successfully complete the Workshops students must choose one of the two options.
*Check back in during Fall 2022 for updates on Projects and Volunteer Opportunities
- Project #1 - Local Volunteer Organization
- Project #2 - Renewable Energy
- Project #3 - Environmental Law
Community Service Opportunities
Volunteer opportunities are listed below, remember to always register beforehand to volunteer. We recommend registering a couple of weeks beforehand to guarantee your spot. Make sure to take your volunteer form with you to the event so that the volunteer coordinator/supervisor can sign it. Volunteer hours must be a minimum of 3 hours.
- Volunteer Form - Print this form and take it to your volunteer event. This form must be filled out and signed by the coordinator at the volunteer event. The completed form must be turned into your Workshop leader.
- TreePeople: Click on the link to view TreePeople's volunteer calender. Select a time slot that you can attend and register to volunteer. Make sure the event is a minimum of 3 hours long.
- LACompost: Click on the link to view LACompost's volunteer calender. Select a time slot that you can attend and register to volunteer. Make sure the event is a minimum of 3 hours long.