Student Support

Part-time and Full-time Employment


Working while in school is a great way to gain real-world work experience. However, it is essential to remember that searching for a job requires your active participation. The job search process will take some time and commitment. We have provided the following online resource to help you find a job. We also offer scheduled career counseling appointments to help you explore your career options. The SMC Career Center is your headquarters for career advice, skills and strategies that will lead you to your ideal career. 

How to Find a Part-time or Full-Time Job and HireSMC

As an SMC student or alum, you can search for part-time and full-time positions on HireSMC. The HireSMC platform helps you to connect with companies and organizations who are seeking to hire SMC students and/or alums for part-time and full-time positions, on-campus student jobs as well as internship and volunteer opportunities. HireSMC is a free searchable employer database available just for you.  

  1. Create a student  or alum account by clicking the "students" button on HireSMC
    • Your User ID is your SMC student email address. You must include your full SMC email address (including then create a password.  However, if you created a student account prior to 7/18/2018 with your Student ID number, you may still use your Student ID # to access this site. If it is less than 7 digits, please add a "0" before your ID number to make it 7 digits.

  2. Create and upload your resume/portfolio to be available to employers
  3. Access Career Services Center event announcements
  4. Search for available jobs locally and nationally

F-1 International Students and Working Off-Campus

As an international student studying on an F-1 student visa, you must receive permission before working (whether paid or unpaid), interning and/or volunteering off-campus. To see if you are eligible and/or to apply for off-campus experiences, please visit the International Education Center (IEC) and ask to schedule an appointment with an
immigration specialist.  

If you are currently on Optional Practical Training (OPT) and need assistance finding work experience within your major, please contact the Career Services Center and schedule a career counseling appointment.  When you reach out to the Career Services Center, let our staff know you are currently on OPT.  

Additional Resources

  • Additional ways to gain experience, visit Career Resources for Students and check out the sections on Gain Experience and Get Hired
  • Other job search websites and articles