SMC student email accounts are mandatory
Every Santa Monica College student is assigned an SMC student email account. This is a special limited-purpose Google account very similar to Google Gmail.
The SMC student email account is automatically created within two minutes after a newly admitted student activates their SMC online services.
The email address format looks like:
The primary purpose of this email account is to communicate with SMC. It is the only way to guarantee you receive important college information.
You are required to use your SMC student email account to communicate with College offices, instructors, and employees., unless your SMC student email account is temporarily inaccessible (and you are trying to get it fixed). Spam filters at the College often block incoming email from nonSMC email addresses.
- Two ways to access your SMC student email:
- Log in to Corsair Connect, and click "SMC@Mail".
- Click "Student Gmail" on the Corsair Connect login page
- If you forward your email to a non-SMC email account:
- SMC cannot guarantee the delivery of forwarded email. It is your responsibility to be sure that your forwarding arrangement works.
- You may wish to leave forwarded items in the SMC account instead of automatically deleting those items as they are forwarded.
- Note that forwarding will not work until you start your first SMC class. Future students and former students are restricted to exchanging emails only with smc.edu addresses.
- Google instructions on forwarding email
An SMC Google account for currently enrolled students also includes Google Drive, Google Docs, Google Calendar, and a small set of other Google services.
Restrictions on accounts
An SMC Google account has a variety of restrictions on it. These restrictions are due to rampant fraud attempts by organized crime rings, scammers. and spammers.
- Before your first class starts, it is a limited access email account that can only exchange messages with SMC email addresses.
- This restriction is in place until the first day of a class you are enrolled in. If you enroll late into a class that has already started, then it will be up to 24 hours after you enroll and complete any fee payment requirements before the email account is allowed to exchange messages with nonSMC email addresses.
- If you stop attending SMC (drop all classes), your email account will revert to limited access after a short grace period.
- Google services offered by SMC such as Google Drive and Google Docs are not available with a limited access email account.
SMC student email addresses are not permanent
SMC student Google Gmail accounts will be deactivated after a period of nonenrollment. There is a grace period when a student stops taking SMC classes. The current grace period is two years, but the grace period is subject to change without notice. Accounts are deactivated immediately if a cybersecurity problem is detected.
Deactivated accounts may be completely removed at any time starting thirty days after deactivation.
Students who stop taking SMC classes should immediately transfer any emails, documents, or other items they want to keep away from SMC over to a personal account elsewhere. Google provides free accounts.
Since SMC student email accounts are not permanent, they should not be used with personal nonSMC services like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, banking, credit cards, etcetera. This includes not using the SMC student email address for purchased apps or services.
If you ever accidentally use the SMC email address with personal nonSMC services, contact those vendors or services directly to change your email address on file with them.