Student Referral to Peer Navigator Program
Having another student as a college mentor is a great opportunity to connect with someone is excited to share their experiences, offer support, and help you learn more about Santa Monica College.
Once you're connected with a Peer Navigator, you’ll have:
- Personalized guidance and friendship during your first year of college.
- Information about academic resources, social activities, and student life at SMC.
- Opportunities to share your experiences and hear about how others have gotten involved on campus, found community, and navigated college.
- Access to workshops, town halls, and individual support on academic and student life topics that are important to you!
Get to know the current Peer Navigators by visiting the Meet the Peer Navigators page.
To be matched with a Peer Navigator:
- Be a first-year SMC student currently enrolled in or registered for classes.
- Be willing to commit time to communicate and meet with your Peer Navigator.
- Have a sincere desire to find your community at SMC, listen to & share your story with your Peer Navigator, and set goals & follow up with your Peer Navigator.
- Review, complete, and submit the Peer Navigator Request Form.
Peer Navigator Referral for Faculty and Staff
The Peer Navigator Program believes that all SMC students can benefit from peer mentoring. At this time, we have Peer Navigators for the STEM, Business, and Health & Wellness Area of Interests. However, we are launching Peer Navigators in each Area of Interest, in conjunction with the larger campus roll out of each area. The Peer Navigator Program is eager to support all SMC students.
The Peer Navigator Program supports the success of first-year Santa Monica College students by connecting them with a peer to help navigate college and make the most of their SMC experience.
Peer Navigators are continuing SMC students who are embracing their leadership and social capital by providing one-on-one support and direction for all aspects of college life. Peer Navigators offer guidance, listen to concerns and experiences, suggest resources, and answer questions. They are knowledgeable about SMC and serve as mentors, allies, and advocates for students.
After the referral has been made, the Peer Navigator Program will contact the student via email. Please note: the referred student must respond to the initial email in order to connect with a Peer Navigator within their Area of Interest.
- Currently enrolled at Santa Monica College
- Willing to commit to monthly contact with a Peer Navigator
- Desire to set and work towards achieving goals