How to Hire SMC Students
HireSMC is a free searchable employer database, like Indeed.com or LinkedIn, but created for employers seeking to offer jobs & internships to Santa Monica College students.
Santa Monica College Uses College Central Network as its official resume and job posting service.
Please ensure you meet the employer requirements listed below prior to requesting an account. Employers that register for an account must have:
- a properly zoned local business address where supervised work will be conducted.
- a valid office phone number and web address.
- all required equipment for the students to use.
- offer an hourly rate, minimum wage or above for non-internship opportunities.
- a valid business license & carry liability insurance.
If you meet the criteria listed above please complete the following steps to register:
How do you set up your account?
- Log in: HireSMC
- Select: Create Account
- When you get to select company:
- If your company is already in the system, please select it
- If your company is not already in the system, please select "add company"
- Enter your registration information and create an Access ID. Please note, account request submissions are reviewed by our staff within 48- 72 hours of submission.
If your account submission is approved you will receive an email notification confirming your Access ID and a link instructing you to create a Password.
Once your password has been created, you can log in to post the job and/or internship opportunities.
How to post a job?
- Select Job/Internship posting on the left hand side of your screen
- Select "+ Add New"
- Please fill out all of the required fields for your job posting.
Please note, job posting request submissions are reviewed by our staff within 48- 72 hours of submission.
- We ask that you do not select “student employment” as that category is reserved for Santa Monica College Department posting.
- We encourage you to be thoughtful about your selections, as we want our students to be able to find your jobs based on the skills they are developing in their educational programs.
- We recommend including salary information.
- Finally, please note that you may adjust the applicant “submission deadline” to either extend or shorten the time frame in which students may apply.
- If you are posting for Interns, we ask that you follow our internship guidelines (outlined below) to avoid suspension of your account.
Requirements for Internships:
***PLEASE NOTE: BEGINNING SUMMER OF 2023 ALL INTERNSHIPS ARE REQUIRED TO BE ON-GROUND (IN PERSON) AND LOCAL TO THE LOS ANGELES AREA***
In addition to all of the previously listed requirements, employers that recruit Santa Monica College students for internships must either pay the students for their work, or ensure that they are enrolled in an internship course, to be in compliance with labor laws and CA Education Code. (Course enrollment is optional for paid internships.)
Please note that students who secure unpaid internships may not begin work prior to the first day of the semester. All coursework and work hours must be completed by the conclusion of their internship course.
You can find additional information regarding hosting SMC students as interns at smc.edu/internship and a list of semester dates at smc.edu/districtcalendar
A Guide for How to Hire an SMC intern
How to use HIRE SMC for Employers (Guide)
Visit HireSMC to post internship opportunities. You will need to register and wait up to 3 business days for approval to post.