Student Support



If you prefer to live with a host American family, you may wish to look into a Homestay Program. These programs are arranged through private companies that charge a fee to match you with a compatible, pre-screened family. Your living arrangements would depend on your personal preferences as well as those of the host family. The host family often provides meals; typically the student would have a private bedroom and share a bathroom with members of the family. In most cases, a refundable damage deposit will be charged in addition to the processing fee and the monthly rent.

Prices vary greatly by company and facilities provided. Each of these private companies has its own rules and regulations; SMC does not monitor or administer these programs. Applications must be submitted directly to the organization and processed prior to your arrival. Keep in mind that some of these companies require full payment in advance.

Santa Monica College provides general information regarding accommodations that have been successful for international students for your convenience only. The college makes no representation as to the condition or suitability of any of the listed resources, nor does it assume responsibility for their condition or reliability, or for any agreements you enter into with them. SMC is under no obligation to provide organizations or businesses space on our webpages.

Homestay Organization Contact
Universal Student Housing 424 Kelton Ave., Suite 514
Los Angeles, CA 90024
Tel: 310-824-4908
Fax: 310-824-2412

Apartment & Homestay by U.S. Support Services Inc. (USSS)

(Provides guardianship for students under 18)

Education Bridge 10845 Lindbrook Dr, Unit 202,
Los Angeles, CA 90024
Tel: (424) 234-7272
E-Mail Form
Education Bridge Website
Global Student Services, USA Inc.
(may provide guardianship for students under 18)
18151 Gramercy Place
Torrance, CA 90504
Tel: 310-612-7663
International Student Placements (I.S.P.)
(provides guardianship for students under 18)
5050 El Camino Real, Suite 104
Los Altos, CA 94022
Tel: (650) 947-8879
WeChat: JanakiPadia
International Housing Placement Service (I.H.P.S.)
(may provide guardianship for students under 18)
600 N. Rosemead Blvd., Suite 225
Pasadena, CA 91107
Tel: (626) 798-0209
Fax: 626-795-5198
Student International Housing Inc. (S.I.H.)
(may provide guardianship for students under 18)
5757 West Century Blvd., Suite 700
Los Angeles, CA 90045
Tel: 310-320-4700; 310-348-2925
Fax: 310-348-2926
Homestay Santa Monica
(specializing in guardianship for students under 18)
Karina Lahood
Santa Monica Housing Coordinator
Tel: 310-591-6814
Tel: 310-804-1002

Questions for Homestay Companies

  • How close to SMC does the host family live?

  • Is there public transportation nearby?

  • How long will it take to commute to SMC?

  • What are the household rules?

  • May I have overnight guests?

  • Am I expected to do any chores?

  • Will I have a private phone line?

  • Private T.V.?

  • What is the latest that I may receive phone calls?

  • Will I have a private bathroom?

  • Are there other students in the household?

  • Is there a curfew?

  • Are there any pets in the house?

  • Why does the host wish to house a student?

  • What is the primary language spoken in the house?

  • What is the religious orientation of the household, and will the hosts have any expectations of my own religious activities?

  • Does the household observe any dietary practices or restrictions?

  • If meals are included in the monthly fee, and I do not like the food, may I get a rate adjustment and cook my own meals?

  • What will the homestay company do if I am not happy with the family with whom I have been placed?

  • Is smoking allowed in the house?

  • Will someone meet me at the airport?