Office Location and Hours
1900 Pico Blvd., Santa Monica, CA 90405
Cayton Center, 2nd Floor, Room #202, Above the Cafeteria - Elevator on the east side. See Maps.
Office Front Desk Phone Number: 310-434-4250
Fall & Spring Semesters: Mon-Thur 7:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.., Fri 7:30 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Summer & Winter Sessions: Mon-Thur 7:30 a.m. - 3 p.m., Fri 7:30 a.m. - 12 p.m.
Advisors and Staff
Dr. Isaac A. Rodriguez Lupercio, Associate Dean, Student Life
Benny Blaydes, Lead Counselor & ICC Advisor
Dennis Funes, Adjunct Counselor
Tiffany Inabu, Adjunct Counselor
Amelia Trejo, Administrative Assistant II
Michele Harrison, Administrative Assistant I
Freedom of Expression Guidelines
By Office of Student Life
- The United States Constitution protects freedom of expression. Generally, expression may not be banned or restricted because of its content (what is said). However, the time, place, and manner of free expression can be regulated.
- Santa Monica College has many outdoor areas where students may gather for discussion, communication of ideas, distribution of literature, and collection of signatures on petitions. These activities do not generally require prior approval by the College. In engaging in such activities, all laws must be complied with, such as not blocking pedestrian passageways(Penal Code Section 647c) and not disturbing the peace (Penal Code Section 415).
- To prevent disruption of educational activities, amplified sound requires a permit from Associate Dean of Student Life and the Events Office. (Administrative Regulation 4430.)
- Use of classrooms and other facilities requires a permit from the College. (Administrative Regulation 4430; Board Policy 6310.) Approved student groups have priority for use of available College facilities. Outside groups may be required to provide insurance and pay a fee. Because of fire codes, public assemblies cannot take place inside building hallways.
- Distribution of literature or the collection of signatures cannot occur in classrooms, hallways, the Library, or parking lots. No literature may be placed or left on vehicles. (Administrative Regulation 4432.)
- Posting of literature is prohibited on all structures, such as buildings, sidewalks, walls, windows, doors, blackboards, lawns, trees, phone booths, and vending machines. (Administrative Regulation 4432.) Posting on bulletin boards requires approval by an authorized person and must comply with Administrative Regulation 4432.
- Chalking on sidewalks, walkways, buildings or other property not designated for chalking (e.g., chalkboards) constitutes a criminal misdemeanor. (Penal Code Section 594(a)(1).)
- While participating in any picket line or public assembly, you cannot possess any length of wood unless that object is one-fourth inch or less in thickness and two inches or less in width or, if not generally rectangular in shape, such object shall not exceed three-quarterinch in its thickest dimension. (Santa Monica Municipal Code Section 4.08.789.)
- Camping is not permitted on school grounds. (Santa Monica Municipal Code Section 4.08.095.) Refusing to leave any College facility during hours that it closed to the public constitutes criminal trespass. (Penal Code Section 602(q).)
For more information, contact the Associate Dean of Student Life: Rodriguez_Isaac@smc.edu