Santa Monica College currently no longer requires indoor masking, except in the following instances:
- SMC Health Center
- College transportation
- Meeting one-on-one in individual offices
Mask Mandate Decision Matrix
COVID Mask Mandate Decision Matrix - FAQ
The College has adopted a COVID Mask Mandate Decision Matrix (Masking Matrix) indicating the circumstances under which masking will be required. The matrix correlates with the level of community transmission within Los Angeles County. The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) has four categories of community transmission: Low, Moderate, Substantial, and High. Under the College’s matrix, masks are required to be worn indoors when community transmission is in the High category.
The College’s Emergency Operations Team recognizes that masking is a good public health practice that has proven to be effective in slowing the spread of highly contagious viruses like COVID-19 or the common flu.
Regardless of whether masks are required, we encourage the college community to take personal responsibility for their own health and safety. Wearing a mask when not required by the College is based on personal preference and is recommended. Members of the college community cannot require others to wear a mask when not mandated by the College.
For More Information/Questions:
- About the COVID Mask Mandate Decision Matrix please email EOTLEADS@smc.edu
- About specific faculty assignments, contact Jason Beardsley, Interim Vice President of Academic Affairs.
- About Counseling assignments, contact Michael Tuitasi, Vice President of Student Affairs.
- Employee accommodations based on individual health concerns should be referred to Human Resources.
- Students accommodations based on individual concerns should be sent to the Student Health Center.
- If you have a positive case in your class or office, contact the COVID-19 HR Response Team at 310-434-4415.