Student Support

Glossary of Transfer Terms


AP (Advanced Placement)

An exam that students can take and receive college credit. Credit is determined by the college, school, or major at the UC campus that the student transfers to.


When a decision is rendered, on a petition, not in the favor of a student, the student provides additional documentation to the deciding party to receive a review for a favorable decision.


This is information about coursework from one college that indicates whether or not a course transfers to the University of California, and usually determines if that coursework is equivalent to either major requirements, general education requirements, or elective credit.


A website that has articulation information between the community colleges and specific campuses of the University of California (UC) and some of the California State Universities (CSU).

Bachelors Degree (Baccalaureate)

The diploma awarded to an undergraduate that has completed all of the graduation requirements.


The location of specific 10 UC's: Berkeley, Davis, Irvine, Los Angeles, Merced, Riverside, San Diego, San Francisco, Santa Barbara, and Santa Cruz.

CAP (Cooperative Admissions Program)

A program for students are eligible for UC freshman status but not admitted as freshmen. Allows the opportunity for lower-division study at a community college with a guarantee of admission to certain UC campuses as a junior.


The dictionary, Yellow pages, and travel guide all rolled into one, which focuses on a specific campus. The information contained in the catalog covers policies and procedures for academic and non-academic affairs.


California Community College


A collection of departments and or majors connected together usually by an academic discipline or theme.


A specific unit that usually focuses on one specific field of academics (e.g. psychology or history).

EAP (Education Abroad Program)

A program of study at 120 colleges in 35 countries available in the junior year of undergraduate study ranging from one quarter to a full academic year. Transfer students may apply for EAP before enrolling at UC but only under certain conditions.

General Education

A broad smattering of courses to include a wide variety of subjects outside a specific major; also known as survey courses.

GPA (Grade Point Average)

A grading scale that ascribes point value to letter grades based on the number of units called grade points. A GPA is determined by the following formula: Total grade points for all coursework/ total graded units attempted = GPA.

IB (International Baccalaureate)

An exam whereby a student can receive unit credit.

IGETC (Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum)

A specific pattern of courses that completes (GE) general education courses after transferring from a California Community College for most UC cchools and colleges.

Intercampus Transfer

Some transfers within the U.C. campuses may be granted due to a student's personal circumstances and availability in the prospective major. An application must be submitted in a specified filing period. Some UC campuses do not accept any transfers who may have completed more than 120 quarter units.

Interdepartmental Major

A specific course of study usually grouped around a central theme that requires coursework from many different departments.


A term used to describe courses that are usually taught the freshman or sophomore year of college and are general in content. California Community Colleges can only teach lower-division courses.

Lower-Division Major Preparation

Lower division courses that are required as foundation information for upper division coursework. These courses are often comprised from a variety of departments. For example, engineering students are required to complete lower division courses in physics, chemistry, and math.


A specific course of study that is the focus of the undergraduate degree emphasizing one specific discipline.


Additional coursework in a specific discipline other than the declared major, usually related to the major, but not always.

Mixed Record

A student that has attended a university or baccalaureate granting college and a community college.


The ability to ask for, in writing, a special exception to a specified rule or policy.

Quarter System

The division of the academic year into four equal parts. All UCs, except Berkeley, are on a modified quarter system. In the UCs, three-quarters constitute an academic year, with summer school considered an optional "quarter".

Re-Entry Student

An older, returning student. UC campuses provide programs and support services to assist all aspects of the a re-entry student's experience.


Repeating a course where a "D", "F", or "No Credit" (NC) was earned. A Withdraw ("W") is not considered a repetition.

SBCC/UCSB Transition Program

A specific program is applied by only University of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB) for qualifying eligible transfer students from Santa Barbara City College.


A school is a separate academic unit within a university.

Selection Criteria

When a UC campus cannot admit all the eligible applicants, it applies standards that identify high academic achievers with other qualities that can contribute to the strength and diversity of the individual UC campus community.

Semester System

The division of the academic year into two equal parts. University of California, Berkeley (UCB) is the only UC campus on semester system.

Subject Credit

When completing a course after the maximum units allowable for transfer, a student can earn credit for completion of the specific subject, yet receive no additional units or credits.

TAG (Transfer Admission Guarantee)

A program that assists students at participating community colleges in transferring to certain UC campuses.

TAP (Transfer Alliance Program)

A program that requires a rigorous honors/scholars program at a community college for transfer as a junior into certain UC campuses.

TCA (Transferable Course Agreement)

A document published by the University of California (UC) for every California Community College that determines the transferability of all courses from that community college.


University of California


A specific measure of value ascribed to satisfactory completion a course of study. Sometimes referred to as credits or hours.

Unit Ceiling

A maximum number of units allowed for completion of a Bachelors Degree.

Unit Credit

Satisfactory completion of a course usually yields unit credit.


A category of study at the undergraduate level that is more narrow in focus than lower division study. These courses are usually taught in the junior and senior years, and encompass most of the major.

WASC (Western Association of Schools and Colleges)

The accrediting agency for all UCs and California Community Colleges.

Well-Rounded Students

Students who, in addition to their major, have completed a broad array of courses in different areas of study.