Due to the COVID-19 situation, the VITA program is cancelled indefinitely this 2020
tax filing season.
Sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused you.
VITA Volunteer Team
We are unable to serve taxpayers who cannot substantiate their identity by providing their Social Security cards or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). While this list may not be inclusive, it is for your awareness only and is not limited to the items listed.
Tax Return Preparation Service
If you make $56,000 or less, our professionally trained volunteers can prepare and electronically file your 2019 federal and state income tax returns at no cost to you. Our services include:
- Tax preparation for current and prior years
- Amended Returns (2016 – 2018)
- Tax preparation for foreign and non-resident students
*Out-of-scope and limitations may apply. Taxpayers will not be served if the tax return situation is "out-of-scope" for VITA. Review Tax Preparation Limitations and Out-of-Scope before you make an appointment.
What do I need to bring?
- Photo ID for you and your spouse (if filing joint return)
- Both spouses must be present (if filing jointly)
- Social Security cards or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) notices/cards for you, your spouse, and dependents.
- Birth dates for you, spouse and dependents
- All Forms W-2, 1098 and 1099-Misc.
- Information for other income
- Profit & Loss Statement for self-employed taxpayers
- Information for all deductions/credits
- Total paid to daycare provider and provider's address and their tax ID number
- Form 1095-A (Marketplace Health Insurance)
- A copy of last year's tax return, if available
- Bank information for direct deposit (i.e. routing and account number)
What we prepare at SMC VITA?
- Wages, salaries, etc. (W-2)
- Interest Income (Form 1099-INT)
- Dividends received (Form 1099-DIV)
- State tax refunds (Form 1099-G)
- Unemployment benefits (Form 1099-G)
- IRA Distributions (Form 1099-R)
- Pension income (Form 1099-R, RRB-1099-R, CSA-1099)
- Social security benefits (Form SSA-1099, RRB-1099)
- Simple capital gain/loss (Form 1099-B) limited
- Sale of home (Form 1099-S) limited
- Self-employed income (Form 1099-Misc) limited
- Gambling winnings (Form W-2G)
- Cancellation of Debt (Form 1099-C) limited
- Health Savings Accounts (Form 1099-SA) limited
- Itemized deductions limited
- Education credits (Form 1098-T)
- Child Tax Credit
- Earned Income Credit
- Health Insurance Statement (Form 1095-A, B or C)
- Prior year and amended returns limited
- Form 8615 (tax on certain children's unearned income) limited
What we do not prepare at SMC VITA?
- Schedule C with loss, depreciation or business use of home
- Complicated Schedule D (capital gain and losses)
- Form SS-5 (request for social security number)
- Form 8606 (non-deductible IRA)
- Form 8814 (child taxed at parent's tax rate)
- Form SS-8 (determination of worker status for purposes of federal employment taxes and income tax withholding)
- Part 4 & 5 of Form 8962 (Premium Tax Credits)
- See "Out of Scope" link above for more items we do not prepare at SMC VITA
What are the days and times the site will be open?
SMC VITA is available starting February 22 through April 11, 2020 every Friday & Saturday between 9 am to 3 pm. We serve taxpayers with appointments, but we will serve "walk-ins" as spaces become available. We guarantee to serve taxpayers with appointments only, so make an appointment as soon as possible to reserve your spot.
How do I make an appointment?
You can make an appointment by clicking on the link above ("Make an Appointment") and select the day and time of the appointment. You will need to provide your full name and an email to complete the appointment. If the day or time is no longer available, the day/time will not appear as a selection. The last appointment for each day is at 2 p.m.
Where is SMC VITA located?
SMC Bundy Campus
3171 S. Bundy Dr., # 119
Los Angeles, CA 90066
*Free parking is available in front of the building.
What languages are spoken at this site?
The languages spoken at this site are English, Spanish, Chinese, Korean, and Tagalog.