In an Emergency 24/7
From any campus phone,
call 4300 or 911
From a mobile phone,
call SMC dispatch
If off-campus, call 911
The Title IX Leadership Program for Students
The Fall 2023 "Beyond Sex Toolbox" Series Kicks off this year with the Title IX Leadership Program for Students
We are offering you the opportunity to participate in an impactful series of in-depth workshops led by experts in the fields of sexual assault, intimate partner violence, and supporting victims of trauma. The Title IX Leadership Program is an opportunity for you to became a leader in the area of Title IX and to create a network of like-minded students who do not tolerate sexual harassment, stalking and/or sexual violence on campus or in the community.
All SMC students are invited to attend any or all of the workshops in the program. However, to earn the 2023 Title IX Leadership certificate and be recognized by the SMC Board of Trustees, you must attend all five meetings - the Orientation on September 15, 2023, and the four workshops on October 13 and 27, 2023.
The Orientation panel will consist of the SMC Title IX Coordinator, and representatives of the SMC Police Force, the SMC Care and Prevention Team, the Ombuds Office, and Academic Affairs. They all can fill you on on valuable information relating to safety information and resources at SMC.
The remaining four Title IX workshops described below, will cover extremely current and relevant topics to what is happening on your campus today, as well as at the local, national and world societal levels. These workshops will be presented by experts in their field from entities such as the Rape Treatment Center, the Jenesse Center, which is an important domestic violence assistance center, and the Los Angeles LGBT Center. The presenters impart the benefit of their first-hand, hands-on knowledge, giving you valuable life skills which may be applicable to yourself, and/or tools to recognize certain situations and know how to safely help friends, family and others in need.
Leadership Program graduate candidates will then take the knowledge, and work in groups or solo, in creating their action plan to make an impact on campus and/or in the community. The culmination of the program for those who successfully complete the program will be a graduation ceremony and the recognition and presentation of a certificate to all graduates by the Santa Monica College Board of Trustees at the Board Meeting.
This series is being offered free of charge to current SMC students.
The series consists of the following six meetings that look at current issues and cultural shifts around sexual harassment and sexual assault:
- 9/15/2023 - Title IX Leadership Program Orientation and Panel Discussion - A panel of SMC Leaders providing Information and answering your questions about available
SMC support and resources
- Friday, October 13, 2023 at 10 am - Workshop #1 - Preventing Sexual Assault: Creating
a Culture of Consent & Respect. Why This is a Man’s Issue Too
- Friday, October 13, 2023 at 1 pm - Workshop #2 - Healthy Relationships: Understanding
Domestic & Dating Violence, Stalking, and Bystander Intervention
- Friday, October 27, 2023 at 10 am - Workshop #3 - Intersectionality Issues – LGBTQ+
and Other Marginalized Populations
- Friday, October 27, 2023 at 1 pm - Workshop #4 - Supporting Survivors of Trauma
A few of the many Benefits of participating in the 2023 Title IX leadership Program:
- Become a leader in a cultural shift around sexual violence.
- Officially be recognized as a student Title IX leader who can assist other students.
- Become part of the SMC community network actively promoting a campus free from sexual violence.
- Learn valuable life skills
- The sign of your commitment to the issues are valued by many institutes of higher education at which you may one day be affiliated.
If you have any questions about the 2023 Title IX leadership Program please email HRInquiries@smc.edu for a prompt response. If you have a specific issue requiring more assistance, please contact Lisa Winter, Assistant Director, Human Resources, Compliance and Title IX, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (310) 434-4225, or Linda Subias at Subias_Linda@smc.edu or (310) 434-4991.
Additional upcoming Courses scheduled for the smc beyond sex toolbox series:
- Tuesday, November 14, 2023 at 11:45 am- Understanding Unconscious Bias and Microaggressions - In this workshop, you will learn about:
- Conscious bias vs. unconscious bias
- Types of discriminatory practices
- Identification of stereotypes
- Overcoming biases
- The Impact of discriminatory conduct
- Campus and off-campus resources
- Options for reporting unlawful conduct
We look forward to seeing you there!