Student Support

Get Help and Support



In an Emergency 24/7

From any campus phone,
call 4300 or 911

From a mobile phone,
call SMC dispatch

If off-campus, call 911

What can I do if I have been sexually assaulted?

  • Get to a safe place.

  • Call a friend or family member to be with you.

  • It is advisable to report a sexual assault, even an unsuccessful attempt. The information you provide may prevent another person from being assaulted. When you report a sexual assault, any information you can remember about the attack will be helpful - the assaulter's physical characteristics, voice, clothes, car or even an unusual smell.

  • If you have been sexually assaulted, you should call the police as soon as possible; do not bathe or change your clothes. Semen, hair, and material under fingernails or on your clothing all may be useful in identifying and prosecuting the assaulter. If the assault occurred on campus, call Campus Police at 310-434-4300. If the assault occurred off-campus, call 911.

  • It is very helpful to contact a Rape Treatment Center, where qualified staff members may assist you in dealing with your trauma. If you are unable to make the contact yourself, have a friend, family member or police make the call.

  • Finally, it is important to remember that many individuals will mistakenly blame themselves for the assault. It is not your fault. And if you start to feel that way please speak to someone at SMC or the many options of support from outside agencies. These are listed under Confidential Support.

Title IX Rack Card Title IX Rackcard Page 2

What Are My Options?