Student Support



In an Emergency 24/7

From any campus phone,
call 4300 or 911

From a mobile phone,
call SMC dispatch

If off-campus, call 911

If you experience sexual assault/misconduct, you are likely to have many concerns and questions, including what your options are for reporting and responding to the incident. Friends and family members may have strong feelings about what you should do, but there is no right or wrong way to respond. Members of the SMC community who believe they have experienced sexual assault have the right to choose whether or not to report the incident to law enforcement and/or pursue a sexual assault/misconduct complaint with SMC.

Whatever you choose, it is important that you do what makes you comfortable.

There are a number of reporting options available to you. It is important to understand that choosing one option does not preclude you from pursuing another option now or in the future.

Information on reporting options can be found in the Confidentiality and Reporting section.

Additional information about what happens after a report is made can be found in the SMC Policy section.

Regardless of whether an individual decides to make a report, SMC strongly encourages individuals who have experienced sexual assault/misconduct to preserve evidence to the greatest extent possible, as this will maintain all options for them in the future. More information can be found under Preserving Evidence. make this statement the link back to this section LEARN ABOUT TITLE IX/FAQ/What should I do about preserving evidence of a sexual assault?