Medical care in the United States is expensive. International students attending SMC on the F-1 Visa are therefore mandated to purchase a comprehensive medical insurance policy through SMC. This policy is provided by Academic HealthPlans and is paid for by each student at the time of enrollment.
Using your Insurance
It is always a good idea to visit first visit SMC’s Student Health Services Center (SHSC) or Center for Wellness and Wellbeing (CWW) to receive services as this is the most economical way to obtain care. If further care is needed, please only use Blue Cross PPO providers. By using Blue Cross PPO providers, you will maximize your benefit and reduce your out-of-pocket expenses.
To see a guide on how to use the insurance policy, please visit Health Insurance Guidebook.
Getting Your Insurance Card
Please look for your Welcome Email from GeoBlue. This will have your Certificate number and a link to geobluestudents.com where you will be able to download your ID card. The card is for your use only. Never lend this card to other students. Carry your ID card with you at all times! You will need your card when you visit a physician’s office, urgent care, hospital, or pharmacy.
Insurance Student Portal
For the most up-to-date plan information including where to find a provider, what is covered, deductibles copays and more, view the Insurance Program Brochure for 2023-2024 or visit the Student Login Portal: mycare26.com.
Students enrolled in the medical plan are eligible for AcademicLiveCare!
This is a TeleHealth platform for virtual doctor visits 24/7 from your smartphone, computer, or other mobile device – all with $0 cost to you!
- Services include General Care, Urgent Care, Psychiatry, Therapy/Counseling, and Nutritional Counseling
To use this service – follow these simple steps:
- Log into: academiclivecare.com
- Click “Get Connected and then visit “AcademicLiveCare”
- Sign up using your school email address or Log in if you already have an account
- Complete your profile
- When prompted enter Service Key ALC – this allows you to see the doctors/providers in California.
- Once you schedule your appointment, right before you are connected to the provider you will enter your Coupon Code. Enter the code and click apply to make the cost of your visit free. To find your coupon code, please check your SMC email as the code is listed in the AcademicLiveCare welcome email. Please be sure to check your spam filter if you do not see this email.
Insurance Contact: Local RepresentativeKari Mendoza Phone: 310-566-2065 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 800-537-1777
Please visit the Health Insurance Refund website if you need information regarding refund requests.