International Student Health Insurance Refund Deadlines and Coverage Dates
All international students are required to purchase mandatory health insurance coverage for each semester of study in the U.S. In limited circumstances you may be eligible for a refund of your health insurance fees.
PLEASE NOTE: Health Insurance refunds are subject to strict deadlines and eligibility criteria.
To be eligible for a health insurance refund, you must meet the following criteria:
- You must NOT be physically present in the U.S. during the health insurance coverage period for which you are requesting a refund. For insurance coverage dates see below.
- You must submit the Health Insurance Refund Form and proof that you are not currently in the U.S. by the stated deadlines. Please see below for refund deadlines.
Health Insurance Refund Deadlines
Summer Term 2022
Fall Semester 2022
Winter Term 2023
Spring Semester 2023
Summer Term 2023
- Fill out the Health Insurance Refund Form and submit all required documentation no later than the stated deadlines posted above.
- If you are eligible for a refund, the money will be wire transferred into your account. Be sure to fill out the bank information accurately in the Health Insurance Refund Form. NOTE: the bank account must be in your name.
- Send completely filled-out refund documents by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- In the Subject Line of the email, specify the Semester and Year for which you are requesting a refund, followed by the words Health Insurance Refund Request. Example: Fall 2022 Health Insurance Refund Request.
- Please indicate in the Body of the email that you will not be in the U.S. for the period for which you are requesting a refund.
- IMPORTANT NOTE: Failure to follow these instructions may result in the delayed processing of your refund request or the denial of the refund request.
Health Insurance Payments Explained
Please note: Your health insurance payment is composed of two distinct portions. Pre-Term payment and Term payment.
Pre-Term Insurance Payment ($354.50) - Applies to New or Readmitted students ONLY:
Provides you with insurance coverage for the period that precedes the start of your first semester.
As a new student you may be asked to enter the U.S. BEFORE the start of your first semester to take part in orientation, counseling, and class enrollment activities. Your Pre-Term insurance coverage provides you with health insurance benefits during the period that precedes the start of the semester. You will not be asked to purchase Pre-Term coverage in subsequent semesters unless you are a readmitted student returning to SMC after a gap in your studies.
Term Payment ($1,063.50) - All Students:
Provides you with health insurance coverage for the period that covers the length of the semester. You will have to purchase term coverage each semester for the length of your study in the U.S.
Health Insurance Coverage Dates by Semester:
Summer session 2022
Pre-Term: 04/16/2022 - 06/15/2022
Term: 06/16/2022 - 08/24/2022
Fall Semester 2022
Pre-Term: 06/25/2022 - 08/24/2022
Term: 08/25/2022 - 02/11/2023
Winter Session 2023
Pre-Term: 11/02/2022 - 01/01/2023
Term: 01/02/2023 - 02/11/2023
spring semester 2023
Pre-Term: 12/12/2022 - 02/11/2023
Term: 02/12/2023 - 08/24/2023
Summer session 2023
Pre-Term: 04/16/2023 - 06/15/2023
Term: 06/16/2023 - 08/24/2023